Struggling with Unemployment

Hello all,

Today marks a year of unemployment for me since my last paid role at an internship for a market research agency. It has been a truly difficult year to say the least....sometimes I wonder how I'm still alive after going through countless rejections for jobs. I made a recent post a little bit more about myself and my situation, so feel free to have a read just so you can understand with some context.

I feel as though I just cannot seem to gain unemployment...it seems so unattainable, especially with recruiting processes set up mainly for the neurotypical world. For most of the jobs I applied for, I managed to get past the CV stage, but the rejection almost seems to occur at the interview stage or if there is an assessment that requires you to record a video of yourself answering a question. I'll be honest, interviews are not my strength at all - basically anything that requires you to speak or sell yourself - I just cannot thrive in such areas, even having made an attempt to improve on these skills. I could only sell myself through my work and skills - let the work do the talking for you. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle unemployment with interviews not being a strong suit? Could you just request for an alternative way of assessment such as a trial shift or portfolio rather than an interview?

Parents
  • There was another post like this recently and I said there that, remember, the job market right now is horrendous. Lots of people, autistic or otherwise, are struggling to get into work. It's just the nature of capitalism, the system can't provide.

Perseverance is key right now and remember it's not your fault.

The best bet is to keep yourself busy in your spare time. If you're struggling to get into work, fill your work history with things such as freelancing or volunteering. Show that you're trying to get into work, not just sitting around.

Literally, volunteer at local charities. The local library, pet shelter, charity shops. Anything, really, just to show your enthusiasm for getting into work.

You can also mention before interviews you're autistic. Under the Equality Act 2010 you can request reasonable adjustments. That's up to you whether you want to bring it up, but many employers are welcoming about it. For example, if they're trying to make you do a psychometric test they'll have to get something more appropriate.

But mentioning it pre-interview will explain to the interviewer why some of your responses may be bungled (I have this issue in interviews, sometimes I forget what they've just asked me straight away and it looks odd without context).

Also, make sure you're on LinkedIn, write a good profile, and get testimonials on there from past employers and managers (if you can). Create a portfolio of work (if it's relevant to whatever role you're looking for).

Another option is to run a blog or YouTube channel in your spare time. Make it about your work experience, so when you apply you can flag this up as your level of expertise. 

And DON'T lie about your work history. That's a really not a good idea (as someone on this forum is suggesting people do). Even if it lands you a job in future it can come back at a later date to haunt you.

Remember, many employers will carry out a background check or want references. If you've been lying away it'll instantly be obvious.

• There was another post like this recently and I said there that, remember, the job market right now is horrendous. Lots of people, autistic or otherwise, are struggling to get into work. It's just the nature of capitalism, the system can't provide.

Perseverance is key right now and remember it's not your fault.

The best bet is to keep yourself busy in your spare time. If you're struggling to get into work, fill your work history with things such as freelancing or volunteering. Show that you're trying to get into work, not just sitting around.

Literally, volunteer at local charities. The local library, pet shelter, charity shops. Anything, really, just to show your enthusiasm for getting into work.

You can also mention before interviews you're autistic. Under the Equality Act 2010 you can request reasonable adjustments. That's up to you whether you want to bring it up, but many employers are welcoming about it. For example, if they're trying to make you do a psychometric test they'll have to get something more appropriate.

But mentioning it pre-interview will explain to the interviewer why some of your responses may be bungled (I have this issue in interviews, sometimes I forget what they've just asked me straight away and it looks odd without context).

Also, make sure you're on LinkedIn, write a good profile, and get testimonials on there from past employers and managers (if you can). Create a portfolio of work (if it's relevant to whatever role you're looking for).

Another option is to run a blog or YouTube channel in your spare time. Make it about your work experience, so when you apply you can flag this up as your level of expertise. 

And DON'T lie about your work history. That's a really not a good idea (as someone on this forum is suggesting people do). Even if it lands you a job in future it can come back at a later date to haunt you.

Remember, many employers will carry out a background check or want references. If you've been lying away it'll instantly be obvious.

Children
No Data