Trust and Social Naivette

How trusting are you?  If someone presented themselves as a good person would  you immediately take their word for it?  How easy to manipulate do you consider yourself?  I'm sure it's not just Autistic people who are taken advantage of.  But are Autistic people easier to take advantage of?  Do you present yourself as honest? And do you see other people as being the same as you?  Because often they are not.

Parents
  • How trusting are you?  I

Not as trusting as when I was young.

What I found is that as you get older, you start to judge people more and you learn by being hurt.

I had better not quote you again, or I will be thrown out by the spam monster.

So, if someone presented themself as a good person I wouldn't take their word for it.

I always judge people by their actions, not their words.

I have worked with some very malicious people who presented themselves as Christians.

I think I'm only easy to manipulate when I'm in love.

I remember saying to a guy once 'if you had nothing to offer me, why did you get involved in the 1st place'?

He was completely stumped to give me a reply and I was naive not to realise the reason myself.

I don't know if I present myself as honest as I don't think I really 'present myself' at all - I just am, and people take me as they find me, warts and all.

I don't see other people as being the same as me - heaven help them if they were.

I suspect that autistic people are 'easier to take advantage of' as we are literal and if someone says something, we have a tendency to believe that they are telling the truth, I think.

Therefore we can be manipulated, emotionally and psychologically etc, by lies and half-truths.

I think you should answer these questions yourself.

• I've explored Christianity quite a lot in my time, as usual it was chaos e.g. they'd say 'we always encourage questions+questioning'. I'd think to myself 'great, sounds like I'm in the right place here then!'. Before long I'd get into problems with my questioning ('calling out', like Jesus did) resulting in them telling me 'you can't ask questions like that!' (but I just had/did) i.e. hypocrites/contradiction...and I'd leave/move on inevitably eventually Upside down

• I've explored Christianity quite a lot in my time, as usual it was chaos e.g. they'd say 'we always encourage questions+questioning'. I'd think to myself 'great, sounds like I'm in the right place here then!'. Before long I'd get into problems with my questioning ('calling out', like Jesus did) resulting in them telling me 'you can't ask questions like that!' (but I just had/did) i.e. hypocrites/contradiction...and I'd leave/move on inevitably eventually Upside down

Children
  • I've just read a bit in Septology by Jon Fosse involving Catholic faith+practice, it's interesting to me although will mean more to you: '...I think that I want to say a Salve Regina but I haven't managed to make a good enough Norwegian version of that so I can only say it in Latin, I think and I move my thumb and finger down again and I hold the cross and I say inside myself Salve Regina Mater misericordia Vita dulcedo et spes nostra salve Ad te clamamus Exsules filii Havae Ad te suspiramus Gementes et flentes In hac lacrimarum valle Eia ergo Advocata nostra Illos tuos misericordes oculus ad nos converten Et Iesum benedictum fructum ventris tui Nobis post hoc exsilium ostende O clemens O pia O dulcis Virgo Maria and I hold the brown wooden cross between my thumb and my finger and then I say, again and again, inside myself, as I breathe in deeply Lord and as I breathe out slowly Jesus and as I breathe in deeply Christ and as I breathe out slowly Have mercy and as I breathe in deeply On me...'

• I see my favourite Grandmother when I think of Christianity. She was a private individual who held her faith in solitude. The Church of England was very unkind to her in her younger years.

• I've explored Christianity quite a lot in my time, as usual it was chaos e.g. they'd say 'we always encourage questions+questioning'. I'd think to myself 'great, sounds like I'm in the right place here then!'. Before long I'd get into problems with my questioning ('calling out', like Jesus did) resulting in them telling me 'you can't ask questions like that!' (but I just had/did) i.e. hypocrites/contradiction...and I'd leave/move on inevitably eventually

That's really interesting as my autistic friend spent years of his life in a church where he would mix with the community and asked 'awkward' questions and was ignored or ostracised, which caused him a great deal of frustration, social isolation and, I think, bitterness.

My own experience comes from years of working in the Catholic Church.