I need a career change - good careers that don't need uni?

I feel badly in need of a career change. Can anyone suggest any stimulating careers that don't need a degree or maths above A level?

I got an HND in Biology and Chemistry from college when I left school and passed with As years ago (pre ASD diagnosis) but my career has been a disaster. I've tried to be a lab technician for the last 3 years and realised it's not for me (it's initially interesting, then the low level science doesn't stimulate me enough and I found myself looking at the scientists and wanting to do what they did). I'm fiercely intelligent and need something that can make me think and use my knowledge, or something where I can concentrate solely on the task for hours. I want to make a difference and get a 'job well done' feeling at the end of the day.

I also need something well paid, because my relationship with my parents isn't good so I don't want to move back with them. 

I started a degree this autumn and was really enjoying it until a traumatic thing happened which made me lose a month of teaching. The uni were great but I was unable to catch up properly and I've failed my first 2 exams as a result. 

And as well as a pandemic and autism diagnosis, I've been through almost non stop trauma these last few years. I'm aware I might get comments telling me to 'suck it up buttercup' more or less but I've been 'sucking it up' for years now, frankly! Joy

I'm exhausted. 

I'm looking at being a train driver currently because that seems a really cool job - like, I'd love to drive a train! I've always enjoyed travel and the railways, and being alone in the cab all day is quite appealing to me...

I'm also looking at the navy as mucking about with machines, boats and weapons systems and working with my hands would be fun - but I hate being shouted at and worry about bullying.

I've always had a talent for writing. I've always enjoyed doing it and if I could get an office team with good office politics it could be good, I just don't know what's out there.

Friends have told me I interact well with customers. 

I also have a talent for art - but are there any careers that are stable income out there??

Any career change ideas would be fantastic!

• Your post caught my eye, and I totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes, the traditional uni route isn't the right fit, but fret not, because there are loads of awesome gigs that don't require a degree.

• I think the military is one of the few places that is allowed to deny you a job because of a diagnosis of autism so you may need to leaeve that.

If you're still interested in science but don't want to do the technician side of it, jobs like at water companies or the environment agencies such as testing water often involve repetitive tasks and don't all require a degree (in fact often prefer experience, which you definitely have). Might be worth looking into.

• Thanks Ben - I'll try my local library

• The reference library used to have it in a largish town near me, some years ago. It would be worthwhile checking.

Ben

• Yes unfortunately it does cost, though you'll definitely get it cheaper on eBay. The Library might have it, I haven't been to the library for years so I can't say for sure but definitely worth checking. You might be able to find some contact details online as well.

• Hi MrE, I just googled Writers and Artists Yearbook and it seems you have to pay to get it - is there a way to find the details for free? (like, do libraries have it?)

• Hi I'm sorry you have been through such a tough time of late. I really hope things will improve for you soon.

Writing is a good idea for work. Have you written to any local offices asking about work or checked social media for any opportunities?

One book to do with writing is the Writers and Artists yearbook, it tells you the contact details of loads of publishers and businesses to reach out to.

I hope this is off some use to you and I really hope you can find something Slight smile