Autistic memory

I've not Googlerated this so I'm starting from quite a low point of knowledge.

I know that we can tend to have very good memory in certain areas and I know about the autistic savant.

So, what do you know about how our memories work and why?

Mainly though, what is your memory like?

What do you remember and what do you not so well?

I have an autistic friend and he can quote back to me the day of the week, date and year a lot of events happened -  small events, things like the day we went on a day trip somewhere over the whole of his life - he's 63.

I don't have that kind of gift but I have realised in recent times that my memory is quite unusual.

I do remember being in the pram and then the pushchair.

However, what I remember really well is places, events in my life and people and the things that people say, going back all 6 decades.

I can mentally walk through every room of the places I've lived in during my life and even where the furniture is.

How about you?

Parents
  • I can go back to the 1950's when, as a very small child, I would be taken to a nearby smalll town to do the shopping. There were no supermarkets back them - they arrived in the sixties.  The shops were set in a long narrow street accessed by very few vehicles. (A by-pass had been recently built). One could smell the bakery, the fishmonger and the butcher from the other side of the street, also the cobbler's had an aroma and maybe some I forget.  I think that is now firmly a thing of the past.  Autistic memory? well maybe or maybe not; however I can still recall the smell of the fabric lining in my pram.... I don't know what fabric it was, but the pram had been new for an older sibling born in 1949.  Is that autistic, or do allistics have such recall, I wonder?

Ben

• I have a similar memories of sitting in the car along such streets. I was not allowed to leave the car so I would wonder at the people and things out the window. Wow, smell the pram's fabric - cool. O you have got the super power memory  alright!

• O you have got the super power memory  alright!

Alas Uhane, I haver recently been assessed as having short-term memory loss, but my long- term is as good as ever.

I am brushing up my rusty languages as I was advised it would be good for the brain.

Tschüss,

À plus tard,

Ben

• Well Uhane, I am impressed!  Japanese must be so much more difficult than European languages. I can see, therefore, how it must stretch the mind a little further.

I wish you good progress,

Ben

• Well Uhane, I am impressed!  Japanese must be so much more difficult than European languages. I can see, therefore, how it must stretch the mind a little further.

I wish you good progress,

Ben

Children
No Data