Government want to look at disability bank accounts to see what we are spending on: this is not good for us autistic.

I read that the government are wanting to look into all disability claimants bank accounts to see what we are spending money on and they can then say that oh! you spend the money on a certain item you should not so we are now going to cut your money. 

This is something that they hope to do in time, it has been on the online news. 

This would be terrible for us autistic people because a lot of people do not understand autism and how diverse we all are: 

for example: autistics might buy the following some might not and need other things for their autism: 

Felt tips, paper, pencils art things: they would not understand that this helps us stay calm by being creative and can help stop us going into further meltdowns etc. 

A computer and games: same reason as above

A piano and sheet music: could be a special interest and is needed for the autistic person and help stop meltdowns too. 

Fancy clothes: for me its 1950s style clothes, to express myself and I cant stand to wear certain clothes

Gluten free foods, special travel like a taxi as buses might be too stressful that day

An indoor clothes drier to stop damp 

collections of trains or magazines, comics etc 

Some people who dont understand autistim and will think that oh they are buying what they want not what they need, tut tut, they should not be buying that. 

What about the autistic that goes on the trains all day because they like it is sooths them. and then someone will say well if they ride trains all day let them work on the trains, but that autistic might be able to talk to people one day but then another day might be mute or unable to and could not work. 

yes there are autistics that can work, and those that work long term are ones that got lucky finding their job that is good for them for example they like action figures so work in a forbidden planet. and are okay with people as long as they are talking about the products. but others cannot cope with work at all. 

I feel that the government need to understand autism much more. No two autistic people are alike. 

What about the person who is has to pay for a private dentist because they dont like the building their local NHS dentists are in for example, and need to have the calm of a private dentist that understands . 

Some autistics might have to spend a fortune on a pair of shoes as they cannot wear cheaper ones for what ever reason (the way they feel etc) 

these are not all conditions or needs I have just listing how diverse we all are and why this new plan is not very nice. 

Because it is scary somehow, big brother is watching you type stuff. 

It also puts non-disabled people against disabled people they dont understand, they have never seen an autistic meltdown for example 

Parents
  • Don't EVER stop using cash.

DO NOT ADOPT CBDC's "for the convenience". 

FFS stop using direct debits, and paying "interest" on everything you own! The first takes all control away from you under the guise of helping you manage, and the second is financially speaking like voluntarily submitting to having leeches attached to your financial (metaphorcal) body.

Learn the difference between your annual turnover of money and your net cashflow, and (if you can of course, according to some members and people I meet in real life, some concepts I find obvious and "basic" are too difficult to follow) work out just HOW MUCH of you weekly income directly benefits you and your family.

I think you will all find (as I did) how incredibly unselfish with your money you all are. You literally throw it into the hands of rich strangers at every turn, who in exchange enact rules to further restrict and tax your activities, using those taxes to do what exactly?

Once they get you hooked on digital money, it'll be worth whatever (((they))) say it is on any given day, and your access to it will depend on a dazziling variety of ever changing factors completely outside of YOUR control. And the amount of financial fleas will multiply...

• Sorry, I'll keep using direct debits and contactless payments because otherwise I would never remember to pay everything and I abhor touching things too many people have touched.

For me increasingly digital systems are a massive benefit, the less I have to interact with people and physical things to do things the better.

To each their own, the option to have the choice is the happy medium.

• I can see your reasoning, and for those people who's income exceeds their expenditure by a moderate amount consistently, and who have enough self control to keep a wary eye on their own consumption and expenditure our modern "conveniences" are wonderful.

As to your last line, providing we have the option to have a choice between cash and digital, that will be fine by me.

• The middle class are closer to the homeless than the super rich, and they know it.

• Of course not.

If you are genuinely nice as well as of high intelligence, the world can be your playground. 

• 138 is just 7 points shy of official genius. You get all the problems and difficulty with down converting to dumb people language, but none of the recognition or opportunity that true genius brings...

i dunno i think most people wont actually understand what anyone means if they tell someone they have a iq of 138, it would go over most peoples heads.... infact it would go over my head too because i simply dont measure intellect that way and each iq test will give you a different result for sure, which means its a flawed measurement anyway and doesnt actually mean anything.

• Not everyone is feared and distrusted for being intelligent.  It might feel like that at times and that might be your personal experience.  It's not Pol Pot's Cambodia where we are about to be killed for being intellectuals.

• I'm sorry, but putting a Mensa sticker in the back of your Mini Metro car is the most attractive thing you could ever do to the wrong sort of person, perhaps a "jerk" on a motorcycle such as myself back in the nineteen eighties...

If you guys are pulling the bigger numbers, my recommendation (and practice) FWIW based on over a half century of knowing my own number is; "keep it to yourselves". 

138 is just 7 points shy of official genius. You get all the problems and difficulty with down converting to dumb people language, but none of the recognition or opportunity that true genius brings...

Those 121 people in the other thread are close enough to Joe Normal to be able to be unnoticed down the pub and take advantage of their gifts unnoticed but YOU stick out just enough to be feared and distrusted.. 

But all those problems must pale into insignificance on the some motorcyclist pulls you over to a stop, gets you to wind down your window and before riding off laughing maniacallly looks down and asks you with a deadpan expression:

"If you are in mensa and that's the intelligent peoples association, how come you drive such a *** car??"

• The test I did had elements of arithmetic but no maths as such. It did have

• working memory tests where you have to repeat increasingly long string of digits, then repeat them backwards then repeat them in numerical order
    • various shape manipulation tasks to test if you could rotate shapes in two and three dimensions in your head or construct a shape in a picture using a set of tiles (while timed)
    • write a very long string of abstract symbols using a mapping from numbers and letters to those symbols
    • explain why groups of words were similar or different 
    • a short general knowledge test (I freaked her out by getting them all correct. Two of the questions were what’s the circumference of the Earth and how long does it take light to reach the Earth from the sun. I answered both exactly. She said they usually have a tolerance of 25% error. I then pointed out that astronomy is one of my special interests).

There was more but I can’t remember it all. It took about two hours.

• maths is too big a element in them... most iq tests just seem to be purely maths tests... but not basic maths, super complicated all over the place maths questions.... if i see a maths question in anything id just rip the entire paper up and leave.

basic working maths though i can do as i worked on a old fashioned till that doesnt do any calculating for you so i had to do the quick maths there and then to calculate the change in my head myself while having no gaps in serving the customer. but iq maths tests are unrealistic and not used in the real world anyway.

• I now have the Bee Gees playing in the back of my head Notes

• I am also concerned with staying alive. Funnily enough.

• I have an IQ of 133 and you are probably smarter than me.

Bless. That's a  nice comment  

We will never know the answer. 

Our priorities change as we get older anyway.

I am less concerned nowadays with IQ than with staying alive!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

• My “full scale IQ” was 138 which they said was greater than 98% of the population.

Out of a max of 155 that's impressive.

I did just find that test online and started it but I got to about question 10 and realised there were another 50 and am too tired.

Also, I wondered if I was doing it under the correct conditions.

Thanks for all this.

Food for thought.

• I tried a few online IQ tests before my assessment but they were all 20-30 questions and took minutes. The Wechsler test took nearly two hours and parts of it were timed so I think you’d only be able to get it if it was administered by a psychologist.

It also has a maximum IQ score of 155 so I’m not sure how it relates to tests that tell us people like Newton had IQs of 180 or whatever.

All my numbers were higher than expected with the exception of processing speed for which I got 114, which is still above average I suppose. My “full scale IQ” was 138 which they said was greater than 98% of the population.

I have since tried the Mensa sample tests and got a much higher score <shrugs>

• One of the common characteristics of autistic people is a spiky profile - so for example you might be mathematically gifted but have terrible verbal comprehension. This test is apparently quite good at revealing these gifts and deficits.

If that's available online I may take a look.

I was with my autistic friend the other day who told me that he only did a test once, 40 years ago, and has an IQ of 150.

He also told me that he perceives me as highly intelligent - however, I don't think that would show on an ordinary IQ test and, in fact, I find the evaluation of my own intelligence impossible as I am not a high achiever either academically or career wise.

Also, he is mathematically gifted and doesn't have the best verbal comprehension.

You have me intrigued.

• One of the common characteristics of autistic people is a spiky profile - so for example you might be mathematically gifted but have terrible verbal comprehension. This test is apparently quite good at revealing these gifts and deficits.

If that's available online I may take a look.

I was with my autistic friend the other day who told me that he only did a test once, 40 years ago, and has an IQ of 150.

He also told me that he perceives me as highly intelligent - however, I don't think that would show on an ordinary IQ test and, in fact, I find the evaluation of my own intelligence impossible as I am not a high achiever either academically or career wise.

Also, he is mathematically gifted and doesn't have the best verbal comprehension.

You have me intrigued.

Children
  • Of course not.

If you are genuinely nice as well as of high intelligence, the world can be your playground. 

• 138 is just 7 points shy of official genius. You get all the problems and difficulty with down converting to dumb people language, but none of the recognition or opportunity that true genius brings...

i dunno i think most people wont actually understand what anyone means if they tell someone they have a iq of 138, it would go over most peoples heads.... infact it would go over my head too because i simply dont measure intellect that way and each iq test will give you a different result for sure, which means its a flawed measurement anyway and doesnt actually mean anything.

• Not everyone is feared and distrusted for being intelligent.  It might feel like that at times and that might be your personal experience.  It's not Pol Pot's Cambodia where we are about to be killed for being intellectuals.

• I'm sorry, but putting a Mensa sticker in the back of your Mini Metro car is the most attractive thing you could ever do to the wrong sort of person, perhaps a "jerk" on a motorcycle such as myself back in the nineteen eighties...

If you guys are pulling the bigger numbers, my recommendation (and practice) FWIW based on over a half century of knowing my own number is; "keep it to yourselves". 

138 is just 7 points shy of official genius. You get all the problems and difficulty with down converting to dumb people language, but none of the recognition or opportunity that true genius brings...

Those 121 people in the other thread are close enough to Joe Normal to be able to be unnoticed down the pub and take advantage of their gifts unnoticed but YOU stick out just enough to be feared and distrusted.. 

But all those problems must pale into insignificance on the some motorcyclist pulls you over to a stop, gets you to wind down your window and before riding off laughing maniacallly looks down and asks you with a deadpan expression:

"If you are in mensa and that's the intelligent peoples association, how come you drive such a *** car??"

• I now have the Bee Gees playing in the back of my head Notes

• I am also concerned with staying alive. Funnily enough.

Bless. That's a  nice comment  

We will never know the answer. 

Our priorities change as we get older anyway.

I am less concerned nowadays with IQ than with staying alive!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

• My “full scale IQ” was 138 which they said was greater than 98% of the population.

Out of a max of 155 that's impressive.

I did just find that test online and started it but I got to about question 10 and realised there were another 50 and am too tired.

Also, I wondered if I was doing it under the correct conditions.

Thanks for all this.

Food for thought.

• I tried a few online IQ tests before my assessment but they were all 20-30 questions and took minutes. The Wechsler test took nearly two hours and parts of it were timed so I think you’d only be able to get it if it was administered by a psychologist.

It also has a maximum IQ score of 155 so I’m not sure how it relates to tests that tell us people like Newton had IQs of 180 or whatever.

All my numbers were higher than expected with the exception of processing speed for which I got 114, which is still above average I suppose. My “full scale IQ” was 138 which they said was greater than 98% of the population.

I have since tried the Mensa sample tests and got a much higher score <shrugs>