Dyscalculia and excuse

When I told some people that I have severe Dyscalculia and that I don't know how to do most basic math and that I don't know how to do Calculus even, some of them think that I am using that as an excuse for not being good at math. I had failed math most of my school years and it's not just me being only bad at math, and I still don't know how to do most basic math as a 22 year old and that is not normal. I tried explaining that to them, but they didn't listen.

Some people think that everyone can learn math, the question is if they understand that when you reach a limit before Dyscalculia manifests.

Parents
  • During my early school years, the head teacher had an interesting way of teaching us times tables; we would stand up in class and recite them while jamming to the beat of Green Onions. In high school, I owned a handy times table pencil case, but unfortunately, I couldn't use it during exams. I also used to have a timetable cassette, and to this day, hearing Green Onions triggers my memory to recite times tables.

• Or we are just dismissed and written off by teachers as being “hopeless and heedless” and punished accordingly, personal experience in Primary School 

Reply Children
No Data