Opinions wanted: ASD Sensory Kits for Hospital ICUs

Hi Everyone!

As I explain in my profile, I work on a ICU ward with little to no access to resources for autistic patients (patients with autism, however they feel most comfortable identifying). ICU is possibly the worst place to be for people with hyper photosensitivity or audio sensitivity, and for those who are non-verbal. I posed the question of if the ward has a sensory box, which they said no, but that suggestions as to what is to be put in a sensory box would be welcome. In writing guidelines with examples for the ward (a shopping list if you will) I came to the realization that as a neurotypical person who isn't an expert by experience, even with training and clinical understanding of autism, that it wouldn't be right unless I verified what I have listed before sending it off to be made for the ICU ward.

I currently have 3 groups of items:

• stimuli adding items (predictable actions, sounds, textures, etc)
    • spinners, small or discrete silicone pop mats, squishy silicone stress balls, fidget cubes, etc 
  • stimuli reducing or eliminating (modifying environmental factors, such as reducing harsh lighting, loud noises, etc) 
    • ear defenders, sunglasses, sleep masks (we already have foam ear plugs, but this can cause health problems we want to avoid)
  • Communication aids (cards about body, health, and pain, etc)

It's also important to note that 95% of our patients are adults, so I wouldn't want to be patronising with overly bright or colourful "toys", and wwe would need easy clean surfaces to keep the environment clean/sterile

Any opinions on what has worked well, or what might not be ok, would be gladly appreciated! For example: would some form of thin gloves be ok for those with touch hypersensitivity?

Thanks, and hope to hear form you guys soon!