Newley Diagnosed, What Now?

Hi, so my 13yr old daughter has just been screened for autism and we have just had the phone call a couple days ago to say that she has been diagnosed with autism. Even though autism is not divided into three groups any more (mild, moderate, severe) i do believe my daughter would be in the more mild group, but im not a professional. 

we now have to wait for the report to be posted out to us now. but in the mean time, i have no idea what to do, i didnt really understand how i was going to share this with my daughter and what the best way was to do it.

so, what do we do now? what would you advise us to do first and how to go about it? 

Thankyou for reading, 

Danni Rose x

Parents
  • I think it would depend on what her stance is with autism. If she is educated and thought she might be autistic, and is fine with the idea, then I would just tell her. I know if my parents knew I was autistic but didnt tell me, I wouldnt like it. But if she is on edge with it, then you might want to be more careful with how you tell her. Especially if she is worried about her reputation and fitting in, then she might have a problem with it. Either way though, Its important to tell her, and the sooner the better. She will have more time in her life to figure things out if she starts now vs later. And she can go at her own pace too, but just having that knowledge is the first step. I personally dont have any experience in having to tell someone they are autistic, so im just speaking from what I would prefer. You will know your daughter better than anyone here though, so I would just try to deliver the news in a way you think shed be fine with. Maybe you could ask some friends or family who know her well, what their suggestions are too?

• I think it would depend on what her stance is with autism. If she is educated and thought she might be autistic, and is fine with the idea, then I would just tell her. I know if my parents knew I was autistic but didnt tell me, I wouldnt like it. But if she is on edge with it, then you might want to be more careful with how you tell her. Especially if she is worried about her reputation and fitting in, then she might have a problem with it. Either way though, Its important to tell her, and the sooner the better. She will have more time in her life to figure things out if she starts now vs later. And she can go at her own pace too, but just having that knowledge is the first step. I personally dont have any experience in having to tell someone they are autistic, so im just speaking from what I would prefer. You will know your daughter better than anyone here though, so I would just try to deliver the news in a way you think shed be fine with. Maybe you could ask some friends or family who know her well, what their suggestions are too?

Children
  • Hi, Thankyou for your reply x, 

I did tell her straight away but just wondered if there were any tips and as a parent you just always worry you’re doing the right thing anyway lol. The pressure of society and fitting in is a big thing for my babe. But it seems now that she knows she’s using it as an excuse more so now to get her own way. I’ve just made it very clear to her that it’s not sn excuse for unwanted behaviour. But she does seem a bit better knowing what it is that’s “wrong” with her. Her dad is in denial and is very much “there’s nothing wrong with ya” and I’ve noticed people saying there’s nothing wrong with you. Whether or not she has autism it’s not “wrong”. I’m struggling with that abit as you can tell lol. Xx