Voices of the late diagnosed

Hi everyone. I’m a podcast listener as find them informative and in some ways, soothing. I’m looking for recommendations of where I can hear the experiences of the late diagnosed.  I was diagnosed this year aged 50. I have noticed that when listening to people discussing their experiences in the media, when they begin talking about being late diagnosed they frame it in the context of being in their late twenties.  I would be interested in hearing older peoples life experiences. Thanks in advance. Blush

Parents
  • I was diagnosed by my GP at 50 in 2020, still waiting for a full diagnosis.  I have not found anybody really relevant, most youtubers seem to be in their 20's and 30's.Having ADHD too I struggle with long , detailed books. I think one issue is that ASD is such a massivley big diverse thing, I have found very few people who I can identify with. I think those of us who are older are diffrent from those in their 20's etc. We activley tried to mask massivley as what we had was unknown. I tried so hard to be normal that it is now ingrained in me, I am slowly finding out who I am since my initial diagnosis. I do find some autistic people on social media too modern. I am white, straight, grumpy, not very modern or woke. .

• I can 100% relate to this being 52 years old. In fact I did start a thread last week asking for recommendations for older, more traditional thinking, not happy clappy people with autism. As you  would imagine there appears to be nothing for people like us. You know, people who have lived a large part of their life masking & trying to fit in. There are considerable differences in the support, information, etc between the various generations children / adolescents, 20 - 30 somethings and 40 and over.

Maybe we are the forgotten generation? Or maybe the generation that it’s all too late for?

• I can 100% relate to this being 52 years old. In fact I did start a thread last week asking for recommendations for older, more traditional thinking, not happy clappy people with autism. As you  would imagine there appears to be nothing for people like us. You know, people who have lived a large part of their life masking & trying to fit in. There are considerable differences in the support, information, etc between the various generations children / adolescents, 20 - 30 somethings and 40 and over.

Maybe we are the forgotten generation? Or maybe the generation that it’s all too late for?

Children