Advice needed please

My son who is 22 was diagnosed with autism around the age of 4

when he was 3 his mother cheated on me and married someone else and had another child

when he was 9 his mother committed suicide so he came to live with me, unfortunately I was sent to prison so I left him in the care of my parents as his step dad is a bully (the reason his mother committed suicide)

Since being released from prison he hasn’t wanted to know me so I’ve not pushed for contact but still buy his birthday / Xmas presents

for the past month or so his behaviour has become unbearable, he keeps banging his head punching himself smashing his stuff and ripping his clothes

my parents have contacted SS but at the moment they have only contacted them by telephone

can anyone recommend anything that can be done to try and help ?

thanks

Parents
  • There is a reason that he has started engaging in this behaviour and I think if you can discover what that is and try to help fix that then the behaviour will improve. 

It sounds like he has really been through it emotionally given everything and it could be that he's struggling emotionally and his emotions are too much for him or it could be something else that is overwhelming him which he can't cope with. 

Does he have someone that he trusts that he can open up to at all? That could be a good place to start. 

• There is a reason that he has started engaging in this behaviour and I think if you can discover what that is and try to help fix that then the behaviour will improve. 

It sounds like he has really been through it emotionally given everything and it could be that he's struggling emotionally and his emotions are too much for him or it could be something else that is overwhelming him which he can't cope with. 

Does he have someone that he trusts that he can open up to at all? That could be a good place to start. 

Children
  • Thanks for the reply Crow Lady

unfortunately he doesn’t talk about how he feels or what he’s going through, I tried to get him counselling after the passing of his mother but he wouldn’t attend, he has no-one really he has no friends

strangely when I was in prison he spoke to me at least 4 times a week, when I was released he went out for the day with his former step dad and step sister and wasn’t home on time which worried my parents, when I rang him he wouldn’t answer the phone and told me later that if he answered his step dad would start shouting at him, so not sure if he tells him things about me which is why he won’t talk to me ? 

but you are right there is something, but my parents tell me one minute he is fine, the next he’s banging and smashing