Shyness and Alcohol

Hi there,

I really struggle with alcohol addiction I’m a young man with autism in my twenties. Ever since I first got drunk at 14 I have loved the way alcohol makes me feel. The euphoria it gives me is almost indescribable, it makes me feel free to be who I want and I feel more compassion and empathy for others when I’m drunk. I haven’t found anything else like it. I tried weed but I didn’t like the way it made me feel it didn’t make me feel invincible like alcohol instead weed made me feel small and vulnerable. I have been off drink since I was 19 but recently have relapsed after years being off it. I tried it because I forgot what it was like and immediately that euphoria rushed in and once I had a taste for it again I just wanted more and more. People have recommended medication like ‘Acamprosate’ which helps with alcohol cravings I’ve never tried that before but maybe it works. But then I would worry that if I came off the medication at some point I would immediately want alcohol again. It’s difficult. I understand that lots of autistic people I have spoken to have also struggled with alcohol as it helps them loosen up a bit. I wonder if us autistic people have some kind of imbalance in our brains that makes us desire alcohol above most else. Let me know what you guys think Thinking

Parents
  • I've never experienced being more sociable after alcohol Confused

When I was younger I used to force myself to attend social events and would consume copious amounts, to try to deal with what I believed at the time to be social anxiety. A lot of the events were work related with a free bar, so access to alcohol was very easy. People used to encourage me to drink, in an attempt to prise me out of my shell, and I could drink them under the table with ease. 

Not once did it ever make it any easier to talk to people or have any more interest in them. Sure I would be more likely to make a complete fool of myself on the dance floor. My anxiety around eating in front of others also dissipated but I still didn't talk to anyone.

Nowadays I rarely touch alcohol, maybe a glass of wine a couple of times a year. If I do have any alcohol it usually just gives me a headache and makes me sleep.

• I've never experienced being more sociable after alcohol Confused

When I was younger I used to force myself to attend social events and would consume copious amounts, to try to deal with what I believed at the time to be social anxiety. A lot of the events were work related with a free bar, so access to alcohol was very easy. People used to encourage me to drink, in an attempt to prise me out of my shell, and I could drink them under the table with ease. 

Not once did it ever make it any easier to talk to people or have any more interest in them. Sure I would be more likely to make a complete fool of myself on the dance floor. My anxiety around eating in front of others also dissipated but I still didn't talk to anyone.

Nowadays I rarely touch alcohol, maybe a glass of wine a couple of times a year. If I do have any alcohol it usually just gives me a headache and makes me sleep.

Children
No Data