Shyness and Alcohol

Hi there,

I really struggle with alcohol addiction I’m a young man with autism in my twenties. Ever since I first got drunk at 14 I have loved the way alcohol makes me feel. The euphoria it gives me is almost indescribable, it makes me feel free to be who I want and I feel more compassion and empathy for others when I’m drunk. I haven’t found anything else like it. I tried weed but I didn’t like the way it made me feel it didn’t make me feel invincible like alcohol instead weed made me feel small and vulnerable. I have been off drink since I was 19 but recently have relapsed after years being off it. I tried it because I forgot what it was like and immediately that euphoria rushed in and once I had a taste for it again I just wanted more and more. People have recommended medication like ‘Acamprosate’ which helps with alcohol cravings I’ve never tried that before but maybe it works. But then I would worry that if I came off the medication at some point I would immediately want alcohol again. It’s difficult. I understand that lots of autistic people I have spoken to have also struggled with alcohol as it helps them loosen up a bit. I wonder if us autistic people have some kind of imbalance in our brains that makes us desire alcohol above most else. Let me know what you guys think Thinking

Parents
  • I'm no expert, but I do have some experiential insight.

We are prone to "addictive" type behaviours - to a greater degree than the general population.

We are prone to "be alone" type behaviours - to a greater degree than the general population.

Accordingly, drinking alcohol  ALONE is a risky, risky business for us folk !

Interestingly, when I stopped drinking completely - Nothing really changed.

I had more money AND undoubtedly gave my flesh and bones and grey matter a rest from sustained poisoning ...but... my overall levels of anxiety / stress / panic / confusion / loneliness / fear / energy etc changed very little.  This was interesting to me.

In my experience, I came to realise that the alcohol was not helping me......I thought it was.....but it was not.....AND

.......Similarly, in my experience, I came to realise that STOPPING alcohol was not the be-all-and-end-all of what I needed to address in my life.  I suspect that I only have that clarity because I am sober.

If you KNOW you are drinking too much.  Stop.  That's my advice......but don't expect miracle "born again" status for your life.

Life is hard, drunk or sober.

For what its worth.

Number.

• I'm no expert, but I do have some experiential insight.

We are prone to "addictive" type behaviours - to a greater degree than the general population.

We are prone to "be alone" type behaviours - to a greater degree than the general population.

Accordingly, drinking alcohol  ALONE is a risky, risky business for us folk !

Interestingly, when I stopped drinking completely - Nothing really changed.

I had more money AND undoubtedly gave my flesh and bones and grey matter a rest from sustained poisoning ...but... my overall levels of anxiety / stress / panic / confusion / loneliness / fear / energy etc changed very little.  This was interesting to me.

In my experience, I came to realise that the alcohol was not helping me......I thought it was.....but it was not.....AND

.......Similarly, in my experience, I came to realise that STOPPING alcohol was not the be-all-and-end-all of what I needed to address in my life.  I suspect that I only have that clarity because I am sober.

If you KNOW you are drinking too much.  Stop.  That's my advice......but don't expect miracle "born again" status for your life.

Life is hard, drunk or sober.

For what its worth.

Number.

Children
No Data