Shyness and Alcohol

Hi there,

I really struggle with alcohol addiction I’m a young man with autism in my twenties. Ever since I first got drunk at 14 I have loved the way alcohol makes me feel. The euphoria it gives me is almost indescribable, it makes me feel free to be who I want and I feel more compassion and empathy for others when I’m drunk. I haven’t found anything else like it. I tried weed but I didn’t like the way it made me feel it didn’t make me feel invincible like alcohol instead weed made me feel small and vulnerable. I have been off drink since I was 19 but recently have relapsed after years being off it. I tried it because I forgot what it was like and immediately that euphoria rushed in and once I had a taste for it again I just wanted more and more. People have recommended medication like ‘Acamprosate’ which helps with alcohol cravings I’ve never tried that before but maybe it works. But then I would worry that if I came off the medication at some point I would immediately want alcohol again. It’s difficult. I understand that lots of autistic people I have spoken to have also struggled with alcohol as it helps them loosen up a bit. I wonder if us autistic people have some kind of imbalance in our brains that makes us desire alcohol above most else. Let me know what you guys think Thinking

Parents
  • I have been on Acamprosate for alcoholism, I am unclear on whether it truly worked or not though. 

For me I have attempted sobriety a few times and while it has been good for a time (1-3 years at a time) I have always fallen back into it again. I don't deny it, I love alcohol. 

Like you, I use it to help me with social situations but I also drink a lot alone. I just like the feeling in my body, I can't describe it. 

Autistic people are more prone to developing substance abuse issues - so I guess it checks out that we might both be in this boat. 

• I have been on Acamprosate for alcoholism, I am unclear on whether it truly worked or not though. 

For me I have attempted sobriety a few times and while it has been good for a time (1-3 years at a time) I have always fallen back into it again. I don't deny it, I love alcohol. 

Like you, I use it to help me with social situations but I also drink a lot alone. I just like the feeling in my body, I can't describe it. 

Autistic people are more prone to developing substance abuse issues - so I guess it checks out that we might both be in this boat. 

Children
  • Yeh, it can take a while to kick in apparaently. I totally understand you. I just like the feeling also it takes me away from my problems and lets me forget. Life’s all about learning ways to cope with the present moment I guess. Easier said than done though haha.