Shyness and Alcohol

Hi there,

I really struggle with alcohol addiction I’m a young man with autism in my twenties. Ever since I first got drunk at 14 I have loved the way alcohol makes me feel. The euphoria it gives me is almost indescribable, it makes me feel free to be who I want and I feel more compassion and empathy for others when I’m drunk. I haven’t found anything else like it. I tried weed but I didn’t like the way it made me feel it didn’t make me feel invincible like alcohol instead weed made me feel small and vulnerable. I have been off drink since I was 19 but recently have relapsed after years being off it. I tried it because I forgot what it was like and immediately that euphoria rushed in and once I had a taste for it again I just wanted more and more. People have recommended medication like ‘Acamprosate’ which helps with alcohol cravings I’ve never tried that before but maybe it works. But then I would worry that if I came off the medication at some point I would immediately want alcohol again. It’s difficult. I understand that lots of autistic people I have spoken to have also struggled with alcohol as it helps them loosen up a bit. I wonder if us autistic people have some kind of imbalance in our brains that makes us desire alcohol above most else. Let me know what you guys think Thinking

Parents
  • As I understand it, ASD can make us more prone to developing addictions. Although I personally have never had an addiction to alcohol, I know there are members here (past and present) who have, and in some instances, their reasons have been the same/similar to yours.

You would need to ask your GP what is available, but an ex-boyfriend was prescribed something that I think helped to reduce his cravings for alcohol, and also caused him to be sick if he did drink.

Something to consider is that if you take anti-depressant medication, alcohol can make it less effective. In addition, I feel alcohol-induced psychosis is something else that you may wish to consider. If you have a tendency to get drunk when you're feeling angry or depressed, it is likely that this will result in pushing people away.

Apologies if what I have said has caused offence and touched a raw nerve. I am merely speaking as an autistic person who has witnessed how distressing it can be when another autistic person is under the influence.

• Wow that’s insightful thanks. Yes it can be distressing for others when someone is drunk. I guess when you’ve been through a lot of trauma the first thing most of us do is self medicate with alcohol, cannabis or other drugs. Sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Hopefully everything is better now. 

• I have encountered many people (autistic and neurotypical) with alcohol addiction issues during my life. I cannot deny that witnessing the negative effects their drinking has had on their personality and behaviour has resulted in causing me trauma. Experience has taught me that it can often be impossible to try to reason with an angry drunk.

As for my ex-boyfriend, I believe he still has the occasional drink, but his intake of alcohol is no longer what would be deemed excessive and harmful to his health.

• I have encountered many people (autistic and neurotypical) with alcohol addiction issues during my life. I cannot deny that witnessing the negative effects their drinking has had on their personality and behaviour has resulted in causing me trauma. Experience has taught me that it can often be impossible to try to reason with an angry drunk.

As for my ex-boyfriend, I believe he still has the occasional drink, but his intake of alcohol is no longer what would be deemed excessive and harmful to his health.

Children