Advice - work

I've been diagnosed with ASD at 18 a few months ago, I'm still learning about myself and all, I think this is related so advice would be lovely :)

I started my work in an apprenticeship over a year ago now, my parents suggested I do it as it relates to computer science / programming (which I studied as an A level). I do like programming little things in my spare time (albeit not often as I'm not massively interested in it), but when it comes to doing it at work I feel like I really struggle with the problem solving part of it - I used to think I was really good at problem solving but it was more being good at repeating methods and formulas rather than designing a solution or so. And unfortunately my work is a lot of designing solutions for things. I do feel a bit useless in comparison to my coworkers in this apprenticeship, they seem to just "get" things and program useful things while I try to think about making some kind of solution and feel like there's a brick wall or something in my head. I do ask people around me for help when I need it (a lot), but there's only so much help I can ask for and I'm starting to wonder if maybe my brain just doesn't suit work like this. 

I work like a standard 9-5 office job, and every day I'm in the office I sort of come home tired and lie down for hours (I started falling asleep in the passenger seat driving to and from work a few months in). I find the office noisy and the lights are bright but I do use music to block out noise so I don't get too many headaches (I get them often I'm not sure why), plus my workplace is friendly and open to reasonable workplace adjustments (although I have no idea where to begin with those). I don't know if I'm just being lazy when I'd really rather do some form of job with simpler instructions or repetitive tasks I can follow than this style of job, but I'm also not really sure what jobs consist of things like that either, and I feel kind of hopeless. I have tried the different placements I've been to as a part of my first year, but I just feel tired all the time and become increasingly more aware that I'm the slowest programmer of my group and that I really do not have an interest in programming software etc as a means of work. 

When I was looking at jobs etc after A-levels I was looking at uni degrees in illustration / animation as I'm interested in and enjoy creative things like that, but my parents thought an apprenticeship like this was more viable and I believe it is. It does pay well, and have good career progression, and I worry I'd be making a big mistake switching jobs or anything of the like. I'm really not happy though, I find myself dreading every day I have to go into the office, and counting down the hours until I can go home. I also cry a lot sometimes. When I talk about it to people around me the advice I get is that not enjoying work like this is just a part of life, I hope I'm not just being overdramatic.

I'm just looking for any advice / insight, I really don't know or understand much about the world of work and this is my first job (the pandemic meant I couldn't have a side-job whilst doing my A levels like others did). Thank you :)

• Hi, 

I’ve worked in IT for nearly 30 years and I’ve seen lots of apprentices and graduates starting their software development careers. It’s very very common for it to take a while for it to “click” - even two or three years - and then people become really good programmers. You’re right at the start of your career so don’t be too hard on yourself and don’t compare yourself to people who’ve been doing it for longer.

If you really think programming isn’t for you there are other roles in the same industry that might be a better match for you - eg software testing and application support.

Don’t give up yet!