Veggie Sausages and other products.

Recently been cutting back on meat intake, normal autistic trait from young, only really eat processed meat.

Tried some of the new vegetarian sausages today, ‘THIS isn’t pork sausages’, really enjoyed them and the texture is really good. Some brands have been vile. Would be interested to know if anyone else has found some good veggie alternatives on the market. I do cook some vegetarian meals from scratch, interested more in off the shelf for when busy.

Parents
  • From what the replies have been, autistic people do manage okay with vegetarian food. I wasn’t sure how the replies would go as I know from my own experiences having a restrictive diet does make things slightly harder. The sausages I tried at lunch were as I said,”okay.” The only problem was I could still taste them at dinner time.

The going fully vegan does seem to be too much for most autistic people. I’m sure someone will prove me wrong. From my own experiments, I have been making some nice pasta dishes with a tomato sauce and if course my beloved grated cheese, quite strange, tomato sauces, tinned in a sauce, soup and ketchup fine. Actually  eating a tomato is never going to happen.

I think I’m going to batch cook some of my own recipes, Debbie has raised a good point with substitutes not having to look or taste like meat. My village pub has gone very upmarket, four full time chefs and very twee food. The peasant option is a burger in a brioche bun with chip’s strategically stacked in a tin mug. The chef’s tried different veggie options of it and from feedback it’s now actually a bean burger made with vegetables, it’s what people actually preferred. Your not alone Debbie. I have tried the veggie sharing platter, that is nice as has cheese with it! The Superfood salad is a step too far for me. I would go into toxic shock.

• Debbie has raised a good point with substitutes not having to look or taste like meat.

Today I had a roast lunch with a cheese and onion pie in shortcrust pastry from S&M.

Yum Yum

• Hi, I thought you had accidentally written M&S backwards as in the shop chain. I’m in confusion as S&M obviously means something else, or are you joking again. I think we may have autistic miscommunication, it’s apparently rare with autistic people!

Cheese and Onion pie does sound lush though, I often buy cheese and onion sausage rolls, is it right to call them that?

• I've never had a cream horn

• I was going to lower the tone and mention a cream horn!  I have led a sheltered life.

Reply Children