Assessment next week

I just found out I'm having my NHS autism assessment next week. Apparently they had a cancellation so I got in sooner than I expected. Is there anything I should do to prepare? It's in person. I already know how to get to the place.

Parents
  • So in hindsight it would definitely have been a good idea to prepare. The assessor spent the first hour asking me about routines and flexibility and kept saying "it doesn't seem like this is a big deal for you" because in answering her questions I said I don't always wake up or have breakfast at exactly the same time. Later in the assessment, after she'd basically given up on that section, she mentioned things like eating out (which I would never consider doing because I like to eat exactly the same foods every day) and holidays (I don't go on holidays because I don't like being out of my regular routine or environment). If I'd prepared a list in advance of how the need for sameness affects my life I could have made sure I told her those things early on rather than her getting the impression I was basically a normal person and then having to correct it later. The assessment went well over the predicted time due to this misunderstanding.

I feel bad for wasting so much of her time but they did only give me four days notice of the assessment.

• Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I'm assuming by the nature of your comment that you were not diagnosed as having ASD.

Its difficult to provide an objective response to you, but from my own experience this week I would say that the lack of notice wouldn't or shouldn't have affected the outcome. I was also give short notice - under a week and for me that worked well. Had it been weeks / months notice I think that I would have been more anxious for a longer period of time.

What I did find helpful was the months of research that I couldn't help but do - just to get an idea of what to expect. I didn't create a script or plan in my head beforehand, I promised to myself that I would simply be myself on the day and not try to0 second guess what questions I would be asked by the assessor.
    Yes, I had an awareness of the various ADOS exercises to expect, but did not think about how I would approach them on the day. I knew that there was pretty good chance several of the following would come up...

• Shapes - I didn't know what the shapes would be nor did I plan what I would do with them
    • The Map - Yes I knew what the map was, but didn't think about what I would say about it
    • THAT BOOK - Now this one did worry me, but I just acted like my usual analytical self
    • Describe an activity - I was expecting (hoping) that it would be how to make a cup of tea (I'd certainly "go to town" on that one! However, I got teeth brushing which threw me a little

You said tat your assessment went well over the predicted time, but didn't mention how long it was expected to take. Was that your expectation or did the assessor tell you how long the expected it to take? My assessment was 2 1/2 hours from start to finish which included a 10 minute break between the first part and the ADOS, and then 30 minutes after the diagnosis for Q&A and the like.

There is no need to feel bad about wasting time. It was clearly identified that an assessment was needed (we all know that it can be difficult getting past the initial acceptance for an assessment referral). Not every person assessed is going to be diagnosed as having ASD.

What are your plans now? Has anyone given you any indication of what happens next?

Gary

• No I was diagnosed as having ASD, it just took much longer than the assessment was supposed to take as so much time was spent on the first section where I was apparently sounding like I didn't have it based on my question responses. I was told it would be 2-3 hours and it was about 4. We didn't do any ADOS tests, only had one 5 minutes bathroom break, and I left within 5 minutes of getting the diagnosis. The assessor said it had taken a long time because I'd clearly put strategies in place to manage my life. Instead of answering questions literally, based on how things are now (basically fine), I think I should have explained from the start how bad things were before I realised I had ASD and was trying to live a "normal" lifestyle.

As for what happens now, I've been told to expect my report in about 3 months time and that I'll be offered a follow up appointment then.

• No I was diagnosed as having ASD, it just took much longer than the assessment was supposed to take as so much time was spent on the first section where I was apparently sounding like I didn't have it based on my question responses. I was told it would be 2-3 hours and it was about 4. We didn't do any ADOS tests, only had one 5 minutes bathroom break, and I left within 5 minutes of getting the diagnosis. The assessor said it had taken a long time because I'd clearly put strategies in place to manage my life. Instead of answering questions literally, based on how things are now (basically fine), I think I should have explained from the start how bad things were before I realised I had ASD and was trying to live a "normal" lifestyle.

As for what happens now, I've been told to expect my report in about 3 months time and that I'll be offered a follow up appointment then.

Children
  • I'm worried my report won't include all my needs because I think I did a poor job of communicating them. E.g. she said "you've written on the form that you once had a meltdown after going away with your partner for the weekend, can you describe that to me?" I looked blank, she said "oh don't worry" and moved on, and it was only after the assessment that I realised what she was talking about - I used to have a meltdown EVERY time we spent the entire weekend together even just hanging out at home due to the social demands of not having solitude for that long. I couldn't even consider going away for a weekend - that's so far beyond my capabilities that I just froze when she brought it up as I knew I wouldn't have written anything like that. I'm worried that even after me talking for 4 hours there's this huge gap between how severely my autism affects me and the impression I managed to communicate.