Has anyone experienced corporal punishments in school?

I was talking with somebody who got offended because the school won't allow "stimming" for students. Lol, I remember back then, when nobody took child psychology seriously and the primary school teachers used corporal punishments as teaching tools. I remember some kids, probably on the spectrum, that received so many ruler strikes on their finger that they ended up bleeding all over. More than one had to leave school because "they won't stop fidgeting". The other kids used to bully them horribly afterwards, since the teacher used to vent their frustrations on us after having their way with them. I wonder where they ended up, with little education and loads of untreated mental issues. No wonder so many people of my generation are totally mentally fouled up.

Was that a thing, back then in UK? I wonder if it was only linked to my s***hole country. I was born it the 70's, by the way 

Parents
  • It was more less phased out when I was at school, though a couple of teachers still smacked people's arms. I believe it's illegal to do this now in the United Kingdom. I was never physically punished during my times at school.

• It was more less phased out when I was at school, though a couple of teachers still smacked people's arms. I believe it's illegal to do this now in the United Kingdom. I was never physically punished during my times at school.

Children
  • But the use of force for self defence, mutual defence or restraint is still legal I belive. I doubt any teacher could get away with punching their students lights out and then saying 'it was the only way to stop him leaving the class room' but in principal they can use force to detain kids in class. In effect they are a bit like prison wardens in that sence.