Has anyone experienced corporal punishments in school?

I was talking with somebody who got offended because the school won't allow "stimming" for students. Lol, I remember back then, when nobody took child psychology seriously and the primary school teachers used corporal punishments as teaching tools. I remember some kids, probably on the spectrum, that received so many ruler strikes on their finger that they ended up bleeding all over. More than one had to leave school because "they won't stop fidgeting". The other kids used to bully them horribly afterwards, since the teacher used to vent their frustrations on us after having their way with them. I wonder where they ended up, with little education and loads of untreated mental issues. No wonder so many people of my generation are totally mentally fouled up.

Was that a thing, back then in UK? I wonder if it was only linked to my s***hole country. I was born it the 70's, by the way 

Parents
  • LOL, it's incredible to think how much popular culture and mindset changed in just 30 years. Back then, people did and said things that right now would be inconceivable. Even paedophilia back them was something that was quietly accepted and not talked about. Britain had Jimmy Savile and Cyril Smith, we had similar cases.

• we had similar cases.

If you are talking Italy, then the Catholic Church has a huge amount to answer for.

I suspect that 'turning a blind eye' is still happening there (and elsewhere) with regard to sexual crimes, and also the justification of punishments 'in the name of God'.

• Yes and no. The Church had its share of kiddy diddlers, but its role has been grossly overblown. Organized religion tend to attract nonces, but as a British you already know that.

Reply Children
  • The problem with dogmatic religions, such as the Catholic Church, is that they are obsessed with sexual behaviour being the ultimate in sinfulness. In the Catholic church this gave tacit approval for those apparently free of sexual sin, such as the nuns in charge of the Magdalene Laundries, to treat with calculated cruelty those judged to have been sinful, such as unmarried mothers. This also extended to illegitimate babies and children in various institutions run by the church, because they were 'the products of sexual sin'. An additional factor is the utter confidentiality of confession; sexually predatory priests could shrive themselves of sin and their behaviour go unreported to the authorities. 

• That is simply not true. There were abuses, but that's inevitable in such an enormous organization. 

Nope.

I don't think you need more examples than the one I gave to see the institutionalised abuse in the name of God.

Please remember that the Church is NOT a charity. The duty of a Catholic is the salvation of souls, not the improvement of material conditions. What's the point of making your earthly life more pleasant, just to have your soul sent to Hell for eternity 40 years later? 

I worked in the finance department of a huge Catholic Diocese for years.

The Dioceses ARE charities.

'Saving souls' shouldn't involve causing people in your 'care' to suffer abuse whether physical or sexual and certainly shouldn't involve using people as slaves.

'Celibacy' is also a problem with regard to sexual abuse ...

• The Catholic Church has in my opinion, insitutionalised abuse (and I'm not just talking sexual) on a massive scale.

Try to deal with "ethnic" communities in UK. Their education system makes the worst Catholic school look like a theme park. 

The Catholic Church has in my opinion, insitutionalised abuse (and I'm not just talking sexual) on a massive scale.

That is simply not true. There were abuses, but that's inevitable in such an enormous organization. 

Please remember that the Church is NOT a charity. The duty of a Catholic is the salvation of souls, not the improvement of material conditions. What's the point of making your earthly life more pleasant, just to have your soul sent to Hell for eternity 40 years later? 

By the way, I am not a Catholic, I just studied their worldview to understand them. 

• A very moving occasion.

I bet it was.

You may know, but Sinead O'Connor was another 'survivor' although she was there in later years when perhaps they weren't quite as terrible as they originally were.

Traumatising nevertheless:

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/sinead-oconnor-magdalene-laundry

• During the last Papal visit to Ireland I was at a protest rally in Dublin. It ended with a silent vigil outside one of the former Magdalene Laundries. A very moving occasion.

• Pointing the finger against religion will only help the non-religious nonces. 

No, it's not finger pointing.

Religions have been responsible for a great deal of suffering for all time.

The Catholic Church has in my opinion, insitutionalised abuse (and I'm not just talking sexual) on a massive scale.

Those laundries were justified on religious grounds.

Religion has been used as a basis for abuse, time and again, over the centuries.

• It's more complex than that. Predators will just swoop in whenever there are vulnerable people. Think about the Oxfam scandal or Cyril Smith. Pointing the finger against religion will only help the non-religious nonces. 

• but its role has been grossly overblown.

It so hasn't.

I could give you reams of examples but here's just one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdalene_Laundries_in_Ireland