I have had the same hairstyle since I was a child

- it never changes, I always leave my hair out and I don't feel comfortable wearing it up. It has to be left out. Is this a possible autistic trait too?

Parents
  • I think I am the opposite of you, regarding my hair. When I was younger, I liked to experiment with different hairstyles and lengths... right up until I became a mum and wanted a style that required minimal effort from me.

For the past few years, I've opted to keep my hair short, as once it reaches a certain length it just irritates the heck out of me. Once it gets to that stage, out come the hair clippers. 

• I was tempted to go short as styling long hair can be a bit of a pain but my mum used to cut it short and I always felt it didn't suit me.

My biggest problem with having long hair is that I chew it. A nasty stim I started in my teens and when I'm anxious it's my go to thing to do.

• When I was growing up, my mother had fairly short hair. For a long time, I feared that if my hair was short, I might look too much like her. As this was the last thing I wanted, I actively went out of my way to look as different as I could from her. The funny thing is that it's as though we have swapped places. At around the same time that I opted for shorter hair, my mother decided that she was better suited to having shoulder-length hair.

Each to their own is what I say. As with most things in life, I feel one has to go with whatever makes one feel happy and comfortable. Relaxed

• I think that's what happened with me as well I was frightened of looking like my mum and because she was originally in charge of my hair because I was too young I instantly hated it every time it was cut. It probably looked good at the time I just couldn't see it. Lol. 

Each to their own is what I say. As with most things in life, I feel one has to go with whatever makes one feel happy and comfortable

I agree. Blush 

One life so you have to do what you want and have fun. I think I'll end up with short hair eventually, or no hair as mine falls out because of anxiety. Lol.

• I think that's what happened with me as well I was frightened of looking like my mum and because she was originally in charge of my hair because I was too young I instantly hated it every time it was cut. It probably looked good at the time I just couldn't see it. Lol. 

Each to their own is what I say. As with most things in life, I feel one has to go with whatever makes one feel happy and comfortable

I agree. Blush 

One life so you have to do what you want and have fun. I think I'll end up with short hair eventually, or no hair as mine falls out because of anxiety. Lol.

Children
No Data