When they ask me why I always mask

And then, they ask me why I always mask and why I am never honest with the people I know. Mates, if you saw the real me I would end up unemployed!

This is the reaction of any employer when they notice that their employee has ASD:

Parents
  • I don’t think it’s fair to generalise ALL employers like that. Whilst some may react like that to finding out their employee is autistic, that has not been my experience. I think comments like this could really put someone off disclosing their diagnosis to an employer when actually for them it could be a really positive thing as they could look for example at reasonable adjustments to help support them with employment and in their role. 

I’m really glad that I am being supported to unmask at work at a pace and in a way that suits me. Masking for me is exhausting and I cannot continue to live that way, always pretending and trying to please other people all the time. It has led me to burnout on numerous occasions and I personally just cannot do that anymore. 

I think we, as autistic/neurodivergent diagnosed or self diagnosed people on a forum need to be aware of putting out such negative generalised information that may scare and put off others. Whilst I believe it’s good to share you own feelings and experiences, making such broad statements all the time can be really negative and unhelpful to read. 

• I don’t think it’s fair to generalise ALL employers like that. Whilst some may react like that to finding out their employee is autistic, that has not been my experience. I think comments like this could really put someone off disclosing their diagnosis to an employer when actually for them it could be a really positive thing as they could look for example at reasonable adjustments to help support them with employment and in their role. 

I’m really glad that I am being supported to unmask at work at a pace and in a way that suits me. Masking for me is exhausting and I cannot continue to live that way, always pretending and trying to please other people all the time. It has led me to burnout on numerous occasions and I personally just cannot do that anymore. 

I think we, as autistic/neurodivergent diagnosed or self diagnosed people on a forum need to be aware of putting out such negative generalised information that may scare and put off others. Whilst I believe it’s good to share you own feelings and experiences, making such broad statements all the time can be really negative and unhelpful to read. 

Children