private diagnosis - costing and legitimacy

• I am finding work harder and harder without accomodations (mandatory 'return to office ' mandates of X days a week keep changing and stressing me out), and I am in the fortunate place that I am paid well enough to afford a private diagnosis (as I hear the waiting list for NHS is 5 years?!). There are a lot of companies online, it seems the price can vary from £700-£3000...

Obviously the cheapest option would be appealing, but I would also want to make sure any diagnosis is "official" in the eyes of my employer and I guess the NHS. I do have private medical insurance with work,but assume it wouldn't cover something I was potentially born with.

Ideally would want somewhere 1k or under. I would prefer my parents not have to attend in person as they live far from me.

Does anyone have any recommendations please? I am 33F if that matters.

Parents
  • The validity of a diagnosis rests on the qualifications of the clinician or clinicians doing the assessment. If you use a private provider who is registered with the NHS, and especially if the NHS uses them for 'Right to Choose' referrals (where the NHS pays for a private provider to make assessments), then you should be fine with a diagnosis being valid.

• Is there a particular qualification they need? Are there any right to choose services still taking assesment requests? Thanks 

Reply Children
  • In what area do you live? Do your research on psychologists and other medical professionals claiming to be suitable to assess. As someone mentioned, some have or still work for the NHS. Just like everything you get what you pay for in my opinion. My brother was recently assessed and diagnosed privately. The report that he has recieved following his assessment, is very helpful and provides reccomendations to consider x