Petition for wrongful detention

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/campaign/mental-health/time-to-act

I saw this on the NAS homepage. I thought I would share it here in case anyone is interested in signing. Wrongful detention of autistic children and adults occurs far too often. It has happened to me twice, and once for my sister.

Parents
  • Despite so many of us signing this and NAS hand delivering the petition to Downing Street the government has ignored it Disappointed

Extract from the NAS email last week:

"Yesterday (7 November), the Government dropped its promised Mental Health Bill. We really hoped that Tuesday’s King’s Speech would be used as an opportunity to finally bring the crucial measures in the Bill before Parliament. But despite a massive 18,234 of you signing our open letter to Rishi Sunak demanding the outdated Mental Health Act is urgently reformed, we’ve been let down, again."

• How do we change this? Is it possible to ask them why they didn't do it? Is it a matter of awareness? Is it a matter of cost? What actually needs to be done to make change happen? It is all well and good saying this needs to change but if they are just going to ignore you then it doesn't really matter. So we need to figure out a way to make change happen. What can be done differently? Who do you need to talk to? Who actually has the power to make decisions and how do we get them to make those decisions?

Also, why does change happen? If you can figure out why some changes happen you can figure out where you went wrong and then improve it.

• The NAS email goes on to say:

"We can’t afford to give up now and we are going to need your help to make sure this human rights scandal is not forgotten.
    We need some time to think about our next move, but we’ll be back in touch to ask for your help as soon as we’ve come up with a plan."

You could always try lobbying your local MP about it. If you can figure out how to get the government to take notice and make change happen put that on your CV and you will be flooded with job offers!

• So awareness is a major problem. I wasn't even aware this was going on, I wasn't even aware of autism awareness week. I wasn't even aware I could be autistic until fairly recently, which is like a massive red flag. Lonely, but performs well. I have always found it ironic that those most in need of help are those that find it the hardest to ask for help. I'm not sure if ironic is quite the right word, but I think it gets my point across. So some more questions, I am not really being very helpful but I am curious and can think of lots of questions which must be useful in someway I just haven't figured it out yet. Are there places where autistic people hang out that isn't necessarily autistic focused. If you can raise awareness in those areas that might improve it. I read somewhere there are like 8 points of separation between any two people through social media, I imagine people are parts of lots of different groups, so if you provide them with a script of what they need to say to raise awareness and how they can help, that will probably make it a lot easier. I imagine there is also a lot of stigma attached to autism, either you are a lonely genius or are seen as barely human. I don't think that is the right way to put it and that might be slightly rude sorry.  I imagine alot of people are afraid to speak up because they are afraid of retribution or punishment. I imagine when most people think of autism in the general population, they immediately think of vaccines even if they don't think vacciness cause autism there is still the association there and that is distracting people from the real problem. Is there a way to change the narrative? Is it possible to associate autism in a more positive light? I don't know.

• So awareness is a major problem. I wasn't even aware this was going on, I wasn't even aware of autism awareness week. I wasn't even aware I could be autistic until fairly recently, which is like a massive red flag. Lonely, but performs well. I have always found it ironic that those most in need of help are those that find it the hardest to ask for help. I'm not sure if ironic is quite the right word, but I think it gets my point across. So some more questions, I am not really being very helpful but I am curious and can think of lots of questions which must be useful in someway I just haven't figured it out yet. Are there places where autistic people hang out that isn't necessarily autistic focused. If you can raise awareness in those areas that might improve it. I read somewhere there are like 8 points of separation between any two people through social media, I imagine people are parts of lots of different groups, so if you provide them with a script of what they need to say to raise awareness and how they can help, that will probably make it a lot easier. I imagine there is also a lot of stigma attached to autism, either you are a lonely genius or are seen as barely human. I don't think that is the right way to put it and that might be slightly rude sorry.  I imagine alot of people are afraid to speak up because they are afraid of retribution or punishment. I imagine when most people think of autism in the general population, they immediately think of vaccines even if they don't think vacciness cause autism there is still the association there and that is distracting people from the real problem. Is there a way to change the narrative? Is it possible to associate autism in a more positive light? I don't know.

Children
No Data