Advice for hyper-sensitivity to exhaust fumes

Hi all, I was very, very recently diagnosed as Autistic and it's suddenly been a revelation for so many things throughout my life.

Due to some big life changes, I've recently moved back in with my parents for a while and they live very close to a motorway.

I am a 'fresh air' addict and permanently have a window open, as I can't stand a room feeling stuffy or closed in. However, I have found that I can constantly smell the exhaust fumes from the motorway here and it's making me feel nauseous throughout the day. I have asked my parents and they can't smell it at all; I assume I am hyper-sensitive to the smell.

I don't particularly like any strong scents, so I wouldn't be looking to mask the smell with anything else, but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for neutralising smells or if there's anything I can do, mentally, to turn my focus away from this constant smell. Does anyone else have a sensitivity to exhaust fumes? I've tried googling but can't seem to see any specific discussion of people who have this issue.

I also am unsure whether I am imagining the smell! When I'm outdoors, I don't notice it at all, but with the window open, it seems really strong. I'd just be interested to know if anyone else has this experience? Thank you Slight smile

Parents Reply Children
  • this is great, thank you! I will definitely look into screens - something I hadn't thought of! No one else noticing is so frustrating since it seems SO present to me. Thanks for the welcome and the help :)