Endings

Hi Everyone,

I am AuDHD and i've just been chatting with a ND friend and we both discovered we have separately realised we have real trouble with endings. 

I will regularly be invested in a show or film or book but towards the end/last episode I drift or decide on something new. 

Is this a lack of attention thing, or is it something deeper. Are we trying to stop things ending somehow? And if so what does that mean? 

Curious for thoughts :)

Parents
  • Hi Autumn_Trees, you're not alone. I can't watch films, I tend to reliably just walk off about 30 mins in, I start twitching and squirming in my seat, I don't have the energy to follow it or try to.

But with series or box set or whatever, I get a different thing, I start to get anxious as it's drawing near to the final episode, and once it's over, I'm like one of those cartoon characters that just leapt off a cliff and their legs are still going like mad in mid-air. It's almost some mini-bereavement, I'm too invested, and I'm in the zone of 'oh no, what now?'.

That's why things like Coronation Street are reassuring, there are no endings, they just go on forever, and ever, and ever, nuclear holocaust - well at least Corrie is still on...   Meteor strike, half the planet has exploded, well at least Emmerdale is still on......

• Yes there is comfort and certainty in knowing that it isn't ending and there will always be another one. I've never really gotten into soaps, but when a new series has like 17 eps I am delighted! 

Reply Children