What's the point?

Diagnosed about 6 months ago. I don't feel like it has benefitted me at all. Felt my work had made some adjustments, but just one change in the way we work has undone it all. It hasn't changed the way I feel about myself. I don't feel any better about life either. 

• It will matter if you ever end up in an employment tribunal with them. If an employer or service provider, or even the police as we’ve seen recently, doesn’t care about being fair and making accommodations for your disability, A diagnosis will not do you any good with them. It will however do you a lot of good when the matter ends up in court which it very well might.

• I feel very much the same way (diagnosed a few months ago).

My experience is that absolutely nobody wants to hear about it and just want me to shut up and get on with it.

• There is no point at all. You are employed, and that places you in the top 15% of the 'spergs. You are protected by the Equality act of 2010, in case something goes wrong at work. If you want to get a degree or a qualification, school would literally bend backwards to accommodate you. School/public employers would be glad to hire you. Play the system, get all advantages you can and count all your small blessings.

IF you want to get better, I am sorry. You are not rich, so you do not deserve therapy. 

Just man up, or become one of those fools spreading asinine conspiracy theories on the internet. Nobody will help you.

• I was diagnosed in early January.  Since then it's been a rollercoaster, but then thinking about it, it was before.  Work wise, I had a reasonable adjustment in place for a fixed desk, then a week later, an office move was announced and I'm having to go through the whole rigmarole again, we'll get there and I'm lucky in that my colleagues are supportive, but it's frustrating at the same time.

Sometimes it does feel like one step forward, two steps back.  However, I am in a much better situation knowing what I'm dealing with, I'm starting to realise it's ok to say "no" to people and that sometimes my own self care is important and isn't selfish.  So whilst I'm still stuck on the rollercoaster, I've got my eyes open now and I'm getting better at knowing where the loops and bumps are.

• For me the diagnosis closed some doors (or at least allowed me to see them as closed, and stop wasting energy trying to get through them)  and opened up others.

Since the world of "work" and "money" is inaccessible to me without a helper which I do not have any longer, then all that is left to me, to strive for is to enjoy "being me" and simply accept the limitations that the "poverty" places on my life, and of course find workarounds that would not occur to neurotypicals.  

I'm in my third year since diagnosis, and it takes more than six months to rebalance yourself, I found, and it's not always a great feeling. 

But feeling good then feeling rubbish is a big part of Autism for a lot of us, which is why a lot of us used to get get misdiagnosed in the past.

My first instinct was to come here and try to raise an Autistic Army to go and stick it to the normie oppressors for a change, but, Autism...

I do get to laugh about the absurdity of some of it though. 

• I’m sorry to hear you feel this way. 

For me, it gave me access to a language to better describe and understand the challenges that I face as well as a community of people who very much remind me that I am not alone.