Words/language as an autistic person

This thread is the result of a discussion with Out of Step but also something I've been thinking about this past year, since diagnosis.

Years ago, when my friend was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, as was, I skim read some of his book: The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood.

One section resonated.

I can't check out the wording now as I don't own it but it was about how autistic people may not speak as non autistic people do and may not use the language commonly used by their peers.

They may, for example, use what used to be called 'BBC English' as my mother did and I do, despite being working class and having gone to working class schools.

We didn't pick up a local accent.

However, some people may pick up the accent but be fascinated by words and use uncommon words.

Also, when I was at school I used words no-one knew the meaning of.

I did actually use a dictionary a lot when I was reading and learnt these more unusual words (and mispronounced them, as I still do) so that's probably part of the reason why.

My mother also used words I'd never heard anyone else use and said that when she was young she would read the dictionary.

She also constantly used the old sayings and phrases (eg a stitch in time saves nine) and I find my speech peppered with these phrases and anachronistic words.

I think that this difference also extends to speech patterns.

Anyone else experience similar and have any knowledge about this to add?

Thanks.

• I could imagine how that could work very very sexy time like!  [I wonder if the spam bots will grab this statement from the airways?]

• To my ear and my taste, these are very lovely as either stand alone....or combined.

I agree.

When I was young (not so much now as my voice has 'gravelled' I think over the years) I was also told I sounded like Marilyn Monroe.

So, that's a bit of a weird combination.

A Scottish Marilyn Monroe ...

• Scandi and Scottish

To my ear and my taste, these are very lovely as either stand alone....or combined.

• So I try and judge whether to check in after I use a word that seems a bit uncommon, but this is like walking a tightrope! If they know the word they're often offended you asked, as if asking is the same as assuming they didn't know it based on who they are or something, and as if not knowing a word is something to be ashamed of! It's very tricky!

A good example of how social interactions can be so very complicated for us.

What a boring guy

Blush

• What a boring guy ;)

I'm very self-conscious about sounding pretentious for sure. Especially as I often have a very confident way of talking when I'm in flow. I always used to assume that if people didn't understand something then they would just ask because that's what I do and that's what my Mum does too. Then I learned that people have lots of different reasons not to ask. So I try and judge whether to check in after I use a word that seems a bit uncommon, but this is like walking a tightrope! If they know the word they're often offended you asked, as if asking is the same as assuming they didn't know it based on who they are or something, and as if not knowing a word is something to be ashamed of! It's very tricky!

• Yeah I totally feel the OP. I speak with a pretty strong local accent but also quite academically sometimes. I used to read "difficult" books with a dictionary next to me.

I had a boyfriend once and I was telling him about something I'd studied, which I thought was fascinating and he said to me 'thank you for the Open University lecture'.

I then realised that he may not have found it as interesting as I did!

Yes, when I was younger and there was no 'online' a dictionary was my best friend.

The people at school couldn't understand some of the words I used.

Now I see it's because they were unusual if, for example, I was reading a book written in another century but also because I mispronounced them as I learnt my speech mainly from reading, per the sections of the TA book I pasted.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

It's very interesting to read how others experience this too.

• For a couple of years I dated another autistic person who communicates in a very clear and precise and simple way. I began to copy this style when I didn't know 'how' to say something. I just communicate the information as it is, unfiltered. This has now become an extremely useful tool.

• You keep us in suspense though Debbie or is this a red herring, were their guesses correct... Were either of your parents indeed from Scandinavian countries and/or Scotland? 

Nope.

That's what I discovered (see the pasted sections of the TA book).

No more mystery. 

It's the autism talking Blush

• I always do that ha ha ha. It's called the phonetic alphabet btw. N for... Naughty? F for.... Freckless???

• One of the joys of map reading and actually looking at signs en route = the weird and wonderful place names of the UK. 

• Same same. I always see it as a sign of a bookish working class person. Sometimes when I learn the correct pronounciation (coz I'm good at pronouncing things once i hear them) I'm sad to let the wrong one go.

• You keep us in suspense though Debbie or is this a red herring, were their guesses correct... Were either of your parents indeed from Scandinavian countries and/or Scotland?  In the place I used to live and grew up, people were constantly saying to me "you're not from round here are you?".  [I'd think uh not again] "Yes, yes, I am". "So why do you talk funny?".

• I remember we once went somewhere, a restaurant or maybe somewhere for an appointment, and my Mum said "Where can I deposit my coat?"

I thought that was great. Deposit!

Yeah I totally feel the OP. I speak with a pretty strong local accent but also quite academically sometimes. I used to read "difficult" books with a dictionary next to me.

For me if I am tired but I need to communicate something like write an email and I just need to "get it done" without straining my brain then I will write something extremely long and detailed and quite academic in tone.

• It was actually the "Everyman" cinema.

• Per my last post, I was asked many times during my life by many people, what my accent is.

Scandi and Scottish win with the guesses but people were/are generally perplexed by the way I speak.

Also, I have always mispronounced words and I see the reason here:

The word may be pronounced as it is written rather than spoken: the child

learned language more by reading than from listening

Fascinating stuff!

• With thanks to  for the link to the TA book.

I was meant to be getting ready to go out but got caught up in this (no surprise there).

I've read some of the pertinent section and will go back to it later.

However, here is a taste of what I remember from many years ago:

Hans Asperger eloquently described an unusual profile of language abilities that

included problems with conversation skills, the ‘melody’ or flow of speech, and an

unusual developmental history for language such as the early or late development of

speech. He also described a tendency for some young children to talk like an adult with

an advanced vocabulary and to use quite complex sentences.

The child may develop an impressive vocabulary that includes technical

terms (often related to a special interest) and expressions more often associated with the

speech of an adult than a child. The child can sometimes speak like a ‘little professor’

and entrance someone with a well-practised monologue on a favourite topic. However,

when this characteristic occurs in an adolescent it can be a contributory factor for social

exclusion.

The child’s articulation can be age appropriate but can be unusual in being almost

over-precise. The word may be pronounced as it is written rather than spoken: the child

learned language more by reading than from listening. There may be stress on specific

syllables that changes the expected pronunciation. I have observed that for some young

children with Asperger’s syndrome, the development of language appears to rely less on

conversation with family and peers and more on what is absorbed from television

programmes and films. Often the young child with Asperger’s syndrome pronounces the

word with the accent of the person whom he or she heard first say the word.

Thisexplains the tendency for some young children with Asperger’s syndrome in the United

Kingdom and Australia to speak with an American accent. Their vocabulary and pro-

nunciation of words was developed by watching television rather than talking to people

and especially by watching cartoons and films that use American actors and voices. This

characteristic can be quite conspicuous when other family members have the local

accent, but the child with Asperger’s syndrome talks as though he or she is a foreigner

• That's what happens, one word replaces another word and I can't remember the old word or phrase.  Anyway £2 for a 2.5 hour journey is a bargain.

• Here follows a PDF link for the first edition of The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome

Great.  Thanks for that.

Sorry I hadn't replied earlier - I don't receive notifications so miss some replies.

I will take a look on a less busy day.

• But I forgot the name and kept thinking toad in the hole 

I do that.

I can't remember some names so another one comes into my head that I know and sounds similar.

Quite often that other name sets in place and it stays as a substitute.

I hope you enjoy the day out.

• I still suffer with finding or remembering the right words or place names.

Today I'm planning on going to Thornton -le-Dale for only £2.  But I forgot the name and kept thinking toad in the hole