Words/language as an autistic person

This thread is the result of a discussion with Out of Step but also something I've been thinking about this past year, since diagnosis.

Years ago, when my friend was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, as was, I skim read some of his book: The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood.

One section resonated.

I can't check out the wording now as I don't own it but it was about how autistic people may not speak as non autistic people do and may not use the language commonly used by their peers.

They may, for example, use what used to be called 'BBC English' as my mother did and I do, despite being working class and having gone to working class schools.

We didn't pick up a local accent.

However, some people may pick up the accent but be fascinated by words and use uncommon words.

Also, when I was at school I used words no-one knew the meaning of.

I did actually use a dictionary a lot when I was reading and learnt these more unusual words (and mispronounced them, as I still do) so that's probably part of the reason why.

My mother also used words I'd never heard anyone else use and said that when she was young she would read the dictionary.

She also constantly used the old sayings and phrases (eg a stitch in time saves nine) and I find my speech peppered with these phrases and anachronistic words.

I think that this difference also extends to speech patterns.

Anyone else experience similar and have any knowledge about this to add?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Yes absolutely.

That had been a mystery to me for decades.  As a linguist I know that little people quickly take on the accent of their peers even if their parent have moved from another location. 

But I didn't.  I don't sound like my parents and I don't sound like the locals I grew up with either. I once discussed this with my university mates on the same course.  None of them could tell where I was from as my speech didn't seem to have any strong class or regional markers to it.  We all scratched our heads a bit puzzled over that.

In fact getting picked on at school for "sounding posh" seems to be common to a lot of autistic people.  I was.

I could never explain why I didn't fit what my text books taught me until I discovered I am autistic.

They may, for example, use what used to be called 'BBC English' as my mother did and I do, despite being working class and having gone to working class schools.

We didn't pick up a local accent.

• There is nothing wrong with having a “posh” English accent, I personally love it, as it sounds so classy - and in this day and age clear communication skills are a must - as long as I’ve lived in the U.K. (22 years) I still retain a strong and distinct Irish accent, for which I’ve had a lot of compliments from my English friends here in Manchester - a major reason for this is that I have a strong connection with my extended family and friends in Rural Ireland and in Dublin and I try to visit Ireland as often as I can 

• There is nothing wrong with having a “posh” English accent, I personally love it, as it sounds so classy - and in this day and age clear communication skills are a must - as long as I’ve lived in the U.K. (22 years) I still retain a strong and distinct Irish accent, for which I’ve had a lot of compliments from my English friends here in Manchester - a major reason for this is that I have a strong connection with my extended family and friends in Rural Ireland and in Dublin and I try to visit Ireland as often as I can 

Children
No Data