Parental Acceptance?

I’ve always had quite a fractious relationship with my mother, she still can’t say the words, autistic or autism. last week she decided to join my wife and I at the village pub. It was very busy, my mother was taking non stop one side of me and my wife was taking on the other side. It all got a bit too much in the end and I shouted,” stop talking,” I did feel guilty and she went home shortly afterwards.

My wife thought it would make amends if mother came to Sunday lunch. I normally cook as it gives me an escape route, I apologised for  my behaviour in the pub a couple of nights before. She then said that she had felt exactly the same about the noise. I then mentioned my late father, ” remember how dad was? He always had to have the same plate, mug and knife, he wore the same type of clothes and was known for ‘ going into one’, he never liked you wearing perfume as it affected him so much,” She then said that he was inconsolable when having a ‘turn’ and afterwards had no memory of how he had been, I tried to explain that he most probably had autistic meltdowns,  she said that his mother told her, he had been the same as a child. His mother was known as being a very ’ cold’ person and devoid of any emotions. My mother had never realised how autism can present. My father like me could never walk barefoot or shower, always a bath.
She kept apologising and thought I was ‘ like I am’ because of her, she then offered to pay for a private assessment.  I said thank you, politely declined the offer and of course told her it was no one’s fault.  She said that she was trying to bring up three children and thought I was always just quiet but did talk to myself a lot, she went on to say that she was often heavily medicated or away ‘ sectioned’.

We have sort of made our peace now, it seems we were an autistic family living in chaos with no communication and no idea of what we are.  I had excluded her from my upcoming assessment but I’m now wondering if I should include her. She still can’t say the word autism but I think we are making progress. I’m not after any advice, I’m 56 this month and mother will be 77 next month, it’s never too late.

Parents
  • it seems we were an autistic family living in chaos with no communication and no idea of what we are

Ditto re mine, as was.

We are now depleted in number and rarely see each other.

I could never have had such a sensible conversation with my mother. 

If I were in your shoes I would take her up on the offer of a private assessment. 

Mans shoeMans shoe

• it seems we were an autistic family living in chaos with no communication and no idea of what we are

Ditto re mine, as was.

We are now depleted in number and rarely see each other.

I could never have had such a sensible conversation with my mother. 

If I were in your shoes I would take her up on the offer of a private assessment. 

Mans shoeMans shoe

Children
  • Hi Debbie, I think there were quite a few families who lived as we did. I am in a quandary over the private diagnosis, I only have eight months left of a 30 month wait, the unit I’ve been referred to is an adult only assessment unit. There won’t be any children’s toys or picture books to  contend with, that was really worrying me. The private sector seems to be getting waiting lists as well. I really don’t know what to do.