My best friend got hacked, I saw through the ruse within minutes

Of the few friends I have, I like to think I know them pretty well. I feel proud to recognize their different mannerisms. Today, that skill came in handy. My buddy's old Instagram got hacked. We'll call him "Joey" for any mentions. For context, we call each other "Bud" or "Buddy". We're both autistic. We both love Star Wars. We both love Mine Craft. And we both love a good bike ride. He even works as a bike Mechanic. Today, his hacked account messaged me. He asked for my picture, which I thought was strange to begin with. Then he asked me for $50. Even offered me to pay it back. I explained multiple times I didn't have it. That I was practically broke. And that I wish I could help him because of our long time Friendship. The hacker started getting more aggressive and saying mean things like "I should have known you wouldn't want to help me" and other hurtful thing. Then saying how "You have the money, I know you do". I felt hurt, thinking something was wrong. I asked him what he needed it for and he told me for food. And then saying he needed money ASAP! He made one error in his messages though. Again, Joey calls me "Bud". This imposter called me "Hun". More than once. Once, I can brush off as a typo or Auto correct problem. But this was two or three times. Now I was suspicious. So I called up Joey and asked if this was him. I explained what the situation was, even providing snap shots of the exchanges. And Joey explained that he was in a Zoom meeting with his doctors the whole time. He asked me to block it, and then I immediately saw the differt feeling between Joey's actual messaging and the hackers. This dude wasn't a very good Joey. And I'm glad I could easily recognize my friends from the fakers. Playing with someone's emotions like that is cruel. Joey wouldn't hurt a fly if he didn't need to. Much less be mean. Even on his worst days. And he's had plenty 

Parents
  • Good evening

Having a hacked social media/email isn't great as I was the one had to deal with this.

Advice is to change your password to a strong one and have a two step varified. I use this when log in on a desktop and have a code sent to my phone. Worst case scenario is to give Instagram 30 days notice to delete your account and start again in a few days/months. Back up photos on a laptop or desktop.

Once I had my very first email hacked into as a former friend asked me how is my new job with Google. Stupidly she replied to the hacker. In the end deleted the whole email account.

Hope this helps you.

Reply Children
No Data