Disability confident

Could we have more information from NAS about David Cameron's Disability Confident initiative launched in July, and how NAS is getting involved?

Part of this is about trying to persuade employers to recruit disabled people. That's something we need to explore on this discussion forum.

They are using poster like "Great Minds Think Differently" and "Unlock Potential" - just I must be looking in all the wrong places for them.

The section on making reasoonable adjustments is frankly scary. Offer a blind person a glass of water.

There's a "Hidden Impairment Toolkit" that includes autism and asperger's syndrome, produced by HING Hidden Impairment National Group. This is the organisation set up to guide the Department of Work and Pensions in understanding disabled needes during the re-assessment of pension eligibility.

So no guesses for how reliable HING's toolkit is going to be. Why isn't NAS providiong a toolkit - unless the best NAS could offer was the Triad of Impairments....

But otherwise autism isn't mentioned.

Is there something we should be told?

Parents
  • Quite....my concerns exactly - NAS could improve......

But I'm not sure that a company set up by the Department of Work and Pensions is likely to be any better.

OK....OK...I'm probably being unduly pessimistic. Lets give HING a chance.......

• Quite....my concerns exactly - NAS could improve......

But I'm not sure that a company set up by the Department of Work and Pensions is likely to be any better.

OK....OK...I'm probably being unduly pessimistic. Lets give HING a chance.......

Children
No Data