Struggling to get going

It’s been a while since I last posted or joined in on any discussions on here, which I guess sort of links to this post in itself really.

I’m finding I have a significant lack of motivation at the minute. In fact it might not be that at all. Im struggling to begin basic tasks and start any activity that I usually get done or enjoy doing. Im not really sure how best to describe it, but I’m sort of just stuck in a bit of a loop of knowing I need to do some things, but struggling to get going with them. 

To my knowledge I am happy (I use the phrase ‘to my knowledge due to alexithymia and the difficulties this can entail), so I’m wondering what this phase Im going through is really.

Any help/advice/thoughts will all be appreciated. 

Parents
  • Hey CG Oakling - what a lovely surprise !

Great to hear from you......but obviously sorry to hear that you are struggling a bit by the sounds of things.

Mate - I'm sure you will receive some more comprehensive and detailed answers.....but all I can manage right now is to report thus;

You have simply described my entire being above.  I live in a constant foggy loop interspersed with episodes of extremely concentrated and inspired work and thought.  Unfortunately, there is no regularity nor reliability in when, or to what extent, I get myself going into one of my 'productive' episodes.

One of my most basic methodologies for "kick-starting" myself is FORWARD MOTION.  This can be walking, jogging, running, driving or being driven.  Whilst I am in that state of forward motion, I think about just one of the many, many things that I am always behind with.....and steel myself to do it as soon as I stop moving.  This approach often works for me.

Another methodology is that, when I get "proper stuck" on getting one particular thing done (naturally, this would always be the MOST pressing of my outstanding tasks) - I deliberately tackle the least important task so at least I can comfort myself that I have achieved something!  Hopefully, this action will get the ball rolling.  This approach rarely works for me - but at least I do get something done so the self-loathing and frustration is kept in check = a win!

This is another thing that I do......but not a recommended route.....but it is one that I use........sleep deprivation.  If I get REALLY REALLY stuck, then I will stay awake for a ridiculously long time.  Personally, I find that after about 28 hours of being awake, I don't have the energy to resist doing the things that need to get done.  As a former "Coffee Guy", you will appreciate that coffee helps me attain this state and I can get about 6 hours of reasonable work done until I crash out and then ALWAYS need to sleep for a minimum of 12 hours.

Anyway.....talking of things that need to get done.....I must keep moving brother.

Lovely to have you back.

Kindest regards

Number.

• Hey Number. Thank you so much for your detailed response. I am really grateful for the effort you’ve put into this. Lots to think about on the back of this. Your comment on the constant loop of focus and fogginess is very interesting. I feel that perhaps this is something that I have been struggling to understand, define and explain for such a long time and I think your words have helped illustrate it a little more for me. The moments I described in my original post are certainly something that I’ve masked my way through several times before, but recognising the cyclical nature of it is quite interesting. Something to try and think about in greater depth.

It’s great hearing from you again Number. Take care buddy.

• Hey Number. Thank you so much for your detailed response. I am really grateful for the effort you’ve put into this. Lots to think about on the back of this. Your comment on the constant loop of focus and fogginess is very interesting. I feel that perhaps this is something that I have been struggling to understand, define and explain for such a long time and I think your words have helped illustrate it a little more for me. The moments I described in my original post are certainly something that I’ve masked my way through several times before, but recognising the cyclical nature of it is quite interesting. Something to try and think about in greater depth.

It’s great hearing from you again Number. Take care buddy.

Children
No Data