Employee Opinion Surveys

Whilst I should appreciate that my employer welcomes anonymous employee feedback through the annual Employee Opinion Survey, I do find some questions a bit triggering.

A couple of questions this time round...

"I think that Diversity, Equality & Inclusion are important issues in the workplace"
I don't believe that there are any issues with this at my workplace - if there were, then yes there would be a problem.
However, I find answering this question [honestly] is difficult.
I don't care that you're black, white, gold, green, yellow, etc.
I don't care that you're male, female, non-binary or whatever.
I don't care that you're straight, gay or whatever flavour of sexual preference.
What I DO CARE ABOUT is whether you are capable of doing your job.

"I have good friends where I work"
I don't have any issues with the people that I work with - we make a great team and get along fine.
However, I wouldn't consider any of them as "friends" - I have very few friends in my social circle (by choice).
Given that we all work remotely (some in a different country) it is extremely rare that we meet in person.

I know that it shouldn't bother me - especially as it is anonymous, but I this has knocked me out of kilter for 30 mins+
Why can't I simply select the relevant answer (disagree / agree / strongly agree / NA) without it sending my mind into overdrive?

Does anyone else struggle with such things as Employee Opinion Surveys?

Parents Reply Children
  • ABSOLUTELY!

Had the question been "I feel that company name has a Diverse, Equality and Inclusive culture", then I would have definitely agreed.

I think in this case the question is indeed badly worded.
    Having the word "issues" in the question is the problem here as it has negative connotations.