Accessing Health Care

So, if you aren't all bored with me banging on about this topic yet, here's another call for opinion.

In my quest to secure some proper support to get through my own GPs doors nevermind survive hospital treatment, it seems I have secured a meeting with the Comissioners for Coventry and Warwickshirs Partnership Trust to talk about improving the offer for autistic people. (Currently this sucks, simply because no one can wrap their heads around the issues). I'm not imagininging this is a local problem at all. The problems are likely the same nationwide.

In this meeting, I'll be banging on about my own barriers, of course, but this isn't just my issue, is it? I am no more than just one example, or case study, here.

So, what do you want your local trust to offer you to better access your health care? I'll take all your ideas forward with me to that meeting.

Parents
  • My GP surgery having an email address would solve 75% of my problems accessing healthcare.

Honestly, most of what I go to the GP for appointments about could be dealt with better by email. e.g. I last went in to ask for autism referral. It would have been much easier and less stressful for me, and less time-consuming for the GP, if I could have written my thoughts concisely in an email, attached my AQ10 and AQ50, and waited for a response. I wouldn't mind waiting a few weeks for the GP to reply - it's a minimum 6-week wait for an appointment anyway.

I need to go again to ask for referral to a GIC. Again, it would be much easier if I could put my thoughts in writing and the GP could read it and make a decision based on that. Perhaps they could put a character limit on their email/contact form so people are forced to be concise, if there are concerns about being bombarded with lengthy emails. Otherwise I have to spend several weeks writing a script and then practising it every day until I have memorised it to be sure of not being drawn off course during the appointment.

I can't use a telephone and have been denied access to some services as a result. When I told the mental health team I couldn't use a phone, they said "it'll mean a much longer wait." When I contacted them several months later it turned out they hadn't bothered putting me on the list at all. I've told my GP surgery multiple times that I can't use a phone and yet they still try to call me or direct me to call them.

I would love an option to permanently opt out of screening programs too. I have opted out of some through the central NHS system, as in I no longer get invitation letters, but GPs still bring it up every time I attend for a physical health reason and discussing it then takes up the majority of the appointment.

• I can't use a telephone and have been denied access to some services as a result. When I told the mental health team I couldn't use a phone, they said "it'll mean a much longer wait." When I contacted them several months later it turned out they hadn't bothered putting me on the list at all. I've told my GP surgery multiple times that I can't use a phone and yet they still try to call me or direct me to call them.

That's absolutely appalling.  I'm so sorry you've experienced that.  

• I can't use a telephone and have been denied access to some services as a result. When I told the mental health team I couldn't use a phone, they said "it'll mean a much longer wait." When I contacted them several months later it turned out they hadn't bothered putting me on the list at all. I've told my GP surgery multiple times that I can't use a phone and yet they still try to call me or direct me to call them.

That's absolutely appalling.  I'm so sorry you've experienced that.  

Children
No Data