Accessing Health Care

So, if you aren't all bored with me banging on about this topic yet, here's another call for opinion.

In my quest to secure some proper support to get through my own GPs doors nevermind survive hospital treatment, it seems I have secured a meeting with the Comissioners for Coventry and Warwickshirs Partnership Trust to talk about improving the offer for autistic people. (Currently this sucks, simply because no one can wrap their heads around the issues). I'm not imagininging this is a local problem at all. The problems are likely the same nationwide.

In this meeting, I'll be banging on about my own barriers, of course, but this isn't just my issue, is it? I am no more than just one example, or case study, here.

So, what do you want your local trust to offer you to better access your health care? I'll take all your ideas forward with me to that meeting.

Parents
  • Training for all medical proffessionals and staff on recognising the signs for undiagnosed autism would be a good start. For example, an individual repeatedly turning up at the surgery struggling to make sense of why they feel the way they do and repeated prescription for antidepressants not helping.....please ask them to look at the obvious to eliminate autism before mis diagnosing. Please ask them to read the nice guidlines x

• And recognition of burnout

• Yes ! This would be good. Because they usually just think it is depression and encourage you to do more things like seeing people or engaging in activities which is probably very counterproductive…

• When I am ill I go as white as a ghost - I’m pale skinned to start with. I once went to A&E with a suspected broken rib and the triage nurse took one look at me and found me a cubicle straight away.

• I can relate a lot to not feeling able to ask for time off. I was extremely lucky in one of my worst burnouts that I came across a GP who recognised the urgent need for me to take time off without me having to say anything. I think he may have saved me. I was really unwell. However sadly the same GP got quite dismissive even angry (that someone had suggested it) at the idea that I could be autistic. 

• It’’s ok - GPs are quite used to people, autistic and neurotypical only mentioning the real reason for the visit, even if you were conscious of it before the visit, on the way out the door.

• Indeed. Also, I have real trouble asking for things or i only say if asked directly. I didn't know you could ask for time off work, I thought it was up to the doctor's discretion. I was completely empty and at the end of coping/not coping,, walking out of the GP's door before I thought "I wonder if I should mention it".

I completely understand what you mean! I sometimes don’t provide what is apparently relevant information at various appointments because I have not been asked explicitly!

If only non autistic people could communicate clearly and say what they mean.

• Indeed. Also, I have real trouble asking for things or i only say if asked directly. I didn't know you could ask for time off work, I thought it was up to the doctor's discretion. I was completely empty and at the end of coping/not coping,, walking out of the GP's door before I thought "I wonder if I should mention it".

I completely understand what you mean! I sometimes don’t provide what is apparently relevant information at various appointments because I have not been asked explicitly!

If only non autistic people could communicate clearly and say what they mean.

Children
No Data