Accessing Health Care

So, if you aren't all bored with me banging on about this topic yet, here's another call for opinion.

In my quest to secure some proper support to get through my own GPs doors nevermind survive hospital treatment, it seems I have secured a meeting with the Comissioners for Coventry and Warwickshirs Partnership Trust to talk about improving the offer for autistic people. (Currently this sucks, simply because no one can wrap their heads around the issues). I'm not imagininging this is a local problem at all. The problems are likely the same nationwide.

In this meeting, I'll be banging on about my own barriers, of course, but this isn't just my issue, is it? I am no more than just one example, or case study, here.

So, what do you want your local trust to offer you to better access your health care? I'll take all your ideas forward with me to that meeting.

Parents
  • GP surgery needs to understand that not everyone has access to the internet. The message at the top is to only request meds either: 

1. Online

2. Repection

3. E-consult

That's really silly as sometimes I can't put in a request until had a review with a GP or nurse. Also allow 5 working days when able to put in a request. Basically stock taking what meds I've got all the time. 

Text messages not clear enough and keep on send links for newsletter (some people only have a basic phone);

Impossible to get an appointment and have to wait a month. Got one this week in the afternoon and missing a talk about fire safety (community group meeting);

In 2020 I had a GP telephone appointment where only option to prescribe me antidepressants (definitely not recommended); £10 for a prescription is ridiculous. Thought never again.

Supposed to have a follow up call which didn't happen and found out by text message that the GP had cancer and decided to call it a day. My friend said I should of phone the surgery straight away and could of gone 'cold turkey ' really naughty.

Now I do self help.

In 2020/2021 had a phone call from the bloom saying that I need to have a pill check and didn't have a clue what was going on.

My local trust need to take this on board especially with people on the autistic spectrum.

Need to blurt this out.

• NHS is falling apart generally and I think most of the public are experiencing a lot of these problems.

The autism specific things I'm hearing here though is that all that is a LOT of executive strain to have to keep chasing stuff up, a lack of flexibility about communicating with surgeries and a lack of adequate detail as to what to expect from whom and when.

Personally, I think reception and admin, if properly trained, could do a lot to smooth some of this out and get us talking to the right people at time.

Would that be a fair way to summarise?

• Good way to summarize 

Reply Children
No Data