Independent living

I've started the ball rolling for independent living, my first step in to proper adulthood. 

This is something I've been dreading for years. Living on my own and coping with things like money and cooking, my parents have always done this for me, and I don't work.

I wasn't sure where to go or who to turn to so I decided to email Citizens Advice, I explained my autism and not working, my anxiety about paying for bills as I don't work. A really nice man emailed me back advising to contact my local area council and they will put me on a housing list and that when I call them they can help explain everything and how to do it.

I feel proud of myself for doing this, though it's only a small step.

And I'm feeling reassured about the future now as it's been worrying me how I'll live and survive if anything happened to my mum and dad.

For the first time in years I'm feeling hopeful again.

Slight smile

Parents
  • Well done and congratulations.

I left home at 18 from a home life that was very insecure so it was a 'better than home' move.

I got a bedroom of my own for the first time.

This was 1980 and I didn't know I am autistic and it wasn't a 'thing' then for people like me.

Nowadays, there is a lot of awareness and there is support available.

It's really good that the Citizens Advice helped you - they did exist in my youth but I think they are better equipped nowadays to give support to vulnerable people.

This is a very important first step for you, and I wish you all the very best as you move forward.

Maybe report back and let us know how you are getting on.

Take care.

• Hi Debbie,

Thank you! Grinning This is a big step for me and though I'm extremely anxious already and a little sad as it means eventually my mum and dad won't be here I think it's better to do this now rather than wait until something does happen.

I hope life is treating you a lot better now.

I will update regularly here as and when I have updates on my housing situation. Citizens Advice were really good and have helped settle many of my worries.

• Hi Debbie,

Thank you! Grinning This is a big step for me and though I'm extremely anxious already and a little sad as it means eventually my mum and dad won't be here I think it's better to do this now rather than wait until something does happen.

I hope life is treating you a lot better now.

I will update regularly here as and when I have updates on my housing situation. Citizens Advice were really good and have helped settle many of my worries.

Children