Autism? Anxiety? Or both?

Hey hey, 

does anyone else find that they cannot relax/got to bed without checking everything a certain number of times? If im the last to leave I have to check I’ve locked the door by pressing the handle 3 times. And I have to check the 3, 3 times (so essentially 9times and 1 for luck because I hate odd numbers they don’t feel right) but I also have the take a photo. It’s like my brain won’t tell me the door is locked until I’ve done it so many times. I’m staying elsewhere dog sitting for family and It takes me half an hour to go to bed because I have to do all of my things before I can go. I make sure someone else checks when I’m at home but I can’t go to bed until I see them check! I feel so annoying but then I wish I could just check once and be comfortable I’ve done it. I don’t get people who can! 

Parents
  • Ooo your definitely not alone in this

I spend so much time checking locks on doors and windows and then getting up again to check again and make sure I've not heard someone outside

I absolutely dread going to sleep it's one of the times I'm most anxious!

• I try to make it so that I’m comfortable enough to go to bed and leave it but it takes aaaagggeeessss

• I try to make it so that I’m comfortable enough to go to bed and leave it but it takes aaaagggeeessss

How about having a checklist for each item that you need to do repeatedly. Do it slowly, once, and write on the checklist - completed!

If you need to do it a second time then do it but stop then.

Once complete, scan the list and know that everything has been done correctly. The checklist is unique to that night so anytime your mind things "did I do that" then look at the list and reassure yourself that it is done.

Quality over quantity.

Just a thought.

How about having a checklist for each item that you need to do repeatedly. Do it slowly, once, and write on the checklist - completed!

If you need to do it a second time then do it but stop then.

Once complete, scan the list and know that everything has been done correctly. The checklist is unique to that night so anytime your mind things "did I do that" then look at the list and reassure yourself that it is done.

Quality over quantity.

Just a thought.

Children
No Data