Autism? Anxiety? Or both?

Hey hey, 

does anyone else find that they cannot relax/got to bed without checking everything a certain number of times? If im the last to leave I have to check I’ve locked the door by pressing the handle 3 times. And I have to check the 3, 3 times (so essentially 9times and 1 for luck because I hate odd numbers they don’t feel right) but I also have the take a photo. It’s like my brain won’t tell me the door is locked until I’ve done it so many times. I’m staying elsewhere dog sitting for family and It takes me half an hour to go to bed because I have to do all of my things before I can go. I make sure someone else checks when I’m at home but I can’t go to bed until I see them check! I feel so annoying but then I wish I could just check once and be comfortable I’ve done it. I don’t get people who can! 

Parents
  • Hiya. 
    It does certainly sound like it could be an OCD type behaviour. You can most definitely have OCD and Autism as I’ve been diagnosed with both. 
    I think it’s difficult to see where one stops and the other starts as I feel like I’m extremely routine driven but also have compulsions of repetitive or timed behaviour that I have to carry out. 
    I think anxiety does always come into the mix with things like this as repetitive behaviours can be quite self soothing.

if you’re worried about it, talk to your GP. If it doesn’t bother you and you feel it’s just a quirk then leave it. There is medication can that help OCD, as well as specific therapy, so I guess it all depends on how much it impacts on your life and whether you’re happy to continue to do it. 

• Hiya. 
    It does certainly sound like it could be an OCD type behaviour. You can most definitely have OCD and Autism as I’ve been diagnosed with both. 
    I think it’s difficult to see where one stops and the other starts as I feel like I’m extremely routine driven but also have compulsions of repetitive or timed behaviour that I have to carry out. 
    I think anxiety does always come into the mix with things like this as repetitive behaviours can be quite self soothing.

if you’re worried about it, talk to your GP. If it doesn’t bother you and you feel it’s just a quirk then leave it. There is medication can that help OCD, as well as specific therapy, so I guess it all depends on how much it impacts on your life and whether you’re happy to continue to do it. 

Children
  • I honestly think I maybe have more than being diagnosed with… but at the same time I don’t want more diagnosis because the autism one changed my life some for good some bad and I’m still trying to get to know myself now and I don’t think I could take having other things to try and explain to myself… some days I feel like they got it wrong and I don’t actually have autism I’m just a bit odd and it was my fault I couldn’t function the the social norms yknow