Autism? Anxiety? Or both?

Hey hey, 

does anyone else find that they cannot relax/got to bed without checking everything a certain number of times? If im the last to leave I have to check I’ve locked the door by pressing the handle 3 times. And I have to check the 3, 3 times (so essentially 9times and 1 for luck because I hate odd numbers they don’t feel right) but I also have the take a photo. It’s like my brain won’t tell me the door is locked until I’ve done it so many times. I’m staying elsewhere dog sitting for family and It takes me half an hour to go to bed because I have to do all of my things before I can go. I make sure someone else checks when I’m at home but I can’t go to bed until I see them check! I feel so annoying but then I wish I could just check once and be comfortable I’ve done it. I don’t get people who can! 

Parents
  • does anyone else find that they cannot relax/got to bed without checking everything a certain number of times?

sounds like OCD to me - the compulsion aspect is more than just the repetitive behaviours that come from autism.

This diagram explains the overlap:

• I never used to have this issue that I can remember it’s only as I’ve gotten older 18 or so that it’s been like this. I’ve done a little research but it sounds like you can’t have both? I personally feel OCD is an extreme in my case. Like people who have OCD to such an extent they simply struggle in day to day life it must be so hard for them but I feel like that wouldn’t fit me. I was diagnosed at 17 (just before I turned 18) with autism because I was struggling with everything that autistics generally do, the social stuff, the need for routine, my emotional responses to things, the “robotic” persona sort of thing. My college orginally thought I was ADHD. But the OCD behaviours I don’t recall cropping up in my assessment. It started when I got my GAD diagnosis. But it’s just doors being locked and the hob being off that’s the only thing that I get so worked up about. 

• I never used to have this issue that I can remember it’s only as I’ve gotten older 18 or so that it’s been like this. I’ve done a little research but it sounds like you can’t have both? I personally feel OCD is an extreme in my case. Like people who have OCD to such an extent they simply struggle in day to day life it must be so hard for them but I feel like that wouldn’t fit me. I was diagnosed at 17 (just before I turned 18) with autism because I was struggling with everything that autistics generally do, the social stuff, the need for routine, my emotional responses to things, the “robotic” persona sort of thing. My college orginally thought I was ADHD. But the OCD behaviours I don’t recall cropping up in my assessment. It started when I got my GAD diagnosis. But it’s just doors being locked and the hob being off that’s the only thing that I get so worked up about. 

Children