Post diagnosis - what next?

I have now received my diagnosis and received my report. 

I am 46 and perimenopausal so it has been very complex emotionally.

It has been recommended that I am assessed now for ADHD and have been referred to Psychiatry UK which is a 6 month wait.

I wondered where to start now other than what was recommended in the report such as reading biographies from women with autism and this organisation/forum to read up on female autism.

I have a mixture of emotions and have been enjoying some volunteer work helping in a charity shop and dog walking. The social element is difficult some days, others not depending on my mood (if it is low). 

I am looking for some guidance on what to do next? I am under the CMHT and meeting them again in 2 weeks.

Parents
  • I wondered where to start now other than what was recommended in the report such as reading biographies from women with autism and this organisation/forum to read up on female autism.

There are a few books that may be interesting for you:

A straightforward guide to autism:

Understanding Autism For Dummies - Stephen Shore, Linda G. Rastelli, Temple Grandin (2006)
    ISBN 0764525476

Understanding autism as a late diagnosed adult:

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome - Wylie, Philip_ Beardon, Luke_ Heath, Sara  (2014)
    ISBN 9781849054331

From a female perspective:

Autism in heels -  the untold story of a female life on the spectrum - O'Toole, Jennifer Cook (2018)
    ISBN 9781510732841

Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age - Sarah Hendrickx, Judith Gould (2015)
    ISBN 9781849055475

I am looking for some guidance on what to do next?

I would say to start writing up a list of things to ask in your next meeting.

If you have not already done some digging into what traits you have that are probably caused by autims then start here:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism

Think about the thinks you do that are difficult, different to others or a problem for you and see if they align with autistic traits - these are the things you will get most benefit from discussing in your meetings.

After you have drank your fill of knowledge then there will be plenty of questions - this forum is possibly the best I've come across in the world for its archives and people knowledgeable in dealing with issues, plus a generally awesome community that understands your situation because most of us live it too.

• I wondered where to start now other than what was recommended in the report such as reading biographies from women with autism and this organisation/forum to read up on female autism.

There are a few books that may be interesting for you:

A straightforward guide to autism:

Understanding Autism For Dummies - Stephen Shore, Linda G. Rastelli, Temple Grandin (2006)
    ISBN 0764525476

Understanding autism as a late diagnosed adult:

Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome - Wylie, Philip_ Beardon, Luke_ Heath, Sara  (2014)
    ISBN 9781849054331

From a female perspective:

Autism in heels -  the untold story of a female life on the spectrum - O'Toole, Jennifer Cook (2018)
    ISBN 9781510732841

Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age - Sarah Hendrickx, Judith Gould (2015)
    ISBN 9781849055475

I am looking for some guidance on what to do next?

I would say to start writing up a list of things to ask in your next meeting.

If you have not already done some digging into what traits you have that are probably caused by autims then start here:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/what-is-autism

Think about the thinks you do that are difficult, different to others or a problem for you and see if they align with autistic traits - these are the things you will get most benefit from discussing in your meetings.

After you have drank your fill of knowledge then there will be plenty of questions - this forum is possibly the best I've come across in the world for its archives and people knowledgeable in dealing with issues, plus a generally awesome community that understands your situation because most of us live it too.

Children
No Data