Good career for autism

I'm thinking of going in to a career associated with my special interests. One of my special interests is in human health so I'm thinking about becoming a nurse or another of my interests relating to mortuary science so I'm thinking I could study and become a mortuary assistant.

Both of these careers are rewarding and extremely interesting to me. But as usual I worry about it, mostly because of my Autism, it causes me to overthink and get overwhelmed easily and I'm worried because of that I won't be able to do this.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this and own experiences if you've worked in this or similar.

Parents
  • I considered working as a nurse when I was young, and I think it would be interesting.

However, I've worked in various hospitals as a medical secretary + administrator and I've been an inpatient a few times.

I've also spent a lot of time in hospitals visiting people.

The nurses work incredibly hard, are pulled from pillar to post and there is a massive amount of multi-tasking.

There are demands of varying kinds all day long, lots of noise, smells and bright lights and, from what I have observed, few opportunities to take a break when required.

I'm not sure it's an ideal environment for an autistic person but that will depend on your particular sensitivities and ability to cope with a changeable etc environment/demands.

However, nurses can work in quieter places such as GP practices etc so there may be more suitable placements.

There are some other suggestions on this thread that appealed to me more as they would be quieter.

Hopefully you might come back and let us know what you decide to do.

Good luck!

• I considered working as a nurse when I was young, and I think it would be interesting.

However, I've worked in various hospitals as a medical secretary + administrator and I've been an inpatient a few times.

I've also spent a lot of time in hospitals visiting people.

The nurses work incredibly hard, are pulled from pillar to post and there is a massive amount of multi-tasking.

There are demands of varying kinds all day long, lots of noise, smells and bright lights and, from what I have observed, few opportunities to take a break when required.

I'm not sure it's an ideal environment for an autistic person but that will depend on your particular sensitivities and ability to cope with a changeable etc environment/demands.

However, nurses can work in quieter places such as GP practices etc so there may be more suitable placements.

There are some other suggestions on this thread that appealed to me more as they would be quieter.

Hopefully you might come back and let us know what you decide to do.

Good luck!

Children
No Data