Field trip worries

I've got a field trip with my uni at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to the actual learning content and doing the field work, it's the peripherals that are causing concern.

The last field trip I did, I was not prepared for how hard I found some aspects of it, particularly eating (I thought I wasn't a picky eater, turns out I just make all my own food) and the being around people 24/7.

The eating thing I am going to deal with by taking lots of bars and some plain tortillas and then I can at least fuel myself for the bits I can't eat (which isn't too much, it's mostly lunch and some breakfasts). So there's somewhat of a plan and it should work out fine.

The being around people 24/7 is going to be made worse by the trip being longer, and the accommodation being dormitory style rather than the two people per room that was last time. Last time my room partner would go hang out with her friends and I could use the space to recharge a bit. I don't know how I'm going to manage to recharge, as from the info I'm given there's no obvious space I can go to be alone for a while, and also no time to. The really big issue is that being around people for a super long time and not getting a break when I'm getting overwhelmed leaves me super susceptible to meltdowns.

The last one was at a family gathering and ended up with me rocking and sobbing behind a pea bush saying 'there are people everywhere' over and over again. That was bad enough around my extended family with a mum who knows what the problem was and how to fix it (clear a room, forbid all outside access, and leave me there for the rest of the day). I have no idea what would happen if that happened on a field trip with uni leaders and other uni students. The uni leaders and one of the students I know are aware I'm autistic and might disappear periodically, but I have no idea where to go for it. And even if they theoretically know I'm autistic, you don't necessarily know what a meltdown is going to look like or what to do when one happens. But I also don't want to tell them before hand because A. I don't know them well enough, especially the staff. And B. if it then doesn't happen it looks like I'm making up stuff for attention. 

So, anyone who has done uni field trip, how do you deal with this? Anyone in general, any ideas?

Parents
  • Hi there, 

I love your name - I find the word 'squid' very satisfying to say. 

I don't know about field trips especially, but I had to go on a number of group trips as a youngster that I felt wholly unprepared for - this was before I knew I was AuDHD. 

Considering you are university age, I would suggest that the best course of action is to identify whoever is the organiser on the trip and just have a small, private conversation with them. I know you said you don't know them, but in this situation you are the 'kid' and they are the 'teachers' - you are their responsibility and therefore they need to accommodate your needs. 

No need to feel self conscious or anything - just look at it like this: if they know what your issues and limitations are, they can work with them. If you stay quiet and don't let them know, it could all go quite badly wrong and you won't have people there to help you. You're arming them with the knowledge that will allow them to assist you if something goes wrong. 

If you're staying in dorm style bunking (my nightmare) they will damn sure have private rooms/cabins for the teachers, so they can allocate you one of those. Make it clear that staying in a dorm isn't suitable for your individual needs. 

There is no need to feel awkward about any of this - you're all adults and their job is to make the trip accessible and safe for everyone. 

Good luck and keep us posted xxx

• If you stay quiet and don't let them know, it could all go quite badly wrong and you won't have people there to help you. You're arming them with the knowledge that will allow them to assist you if something goes wrong. 

Great advice - get in touch (maybe get someone close to you to do it if you find these conversations difficult) and express your needs to them.

Point out the risks (meltdown) from your diasability and that they can help with a few reasonable changes.

I've done the uni field trip thing and the issues with people who don't wash, snore, bring hookups back at nigh, get drunk and disruptive etc really spoiled it for me.

You may get some grief from your colleagues for getting special treatment so it may be worth thinking some replies to this.

The social aspects can be some of the best aspects of these events however so I would suggest engaging as much as you reasonably can, but only if you have your safe space to retreat to.

Think of it as an adventure and it may give you the capacity to accept the differences more easily. Embrace the difference, the unusual and the new. That was what made it easier for me.

• If you stay quiet and don't let them know, it could all go quite badly wrong and you won't have people there to help you. You're arming them with the knowledge that will allow them to assist you if something goes wrong. 

Great advice - get in touch (maybe get someone close to you to do it if you find these conversations difficult) and express your needs to them.

Point out the risks (meltdown) from your diasability and that they can help with a few reasonable changes.

I've done the uni field trip thing and the issues with people who don't wash, snore, bring hookups back at nigh, get drunk and disruptive etc really spoiled it for me.

You may get some grief from your colleagues for getting special treatment so it may be worth thinking some replies to this.

The social aspects can be some of the best aspects of these events however so I would suggest engaging as much as you reasonably can, but only if you have your safe space to retreat to.

Think of it as an adventure and it may give you the capacity to accept the differences more easily. Embrace the difference, the unusual and the new. That was what made it easier for me.

Children
No Data