The autistic brain

This comes up a lot in the forums.

That our brains are 'wired differently'.

I'd like to learn what that actually means scientifically, and also perhaps some of us might like to share how we experience our brains.

I think mine ticks over very fast, and I see it as a canoe drifting down a river with waterfalls either side ie danger ahead.

Please share any links you know of that explain our minds.

Here's one I found:

https://www.psycom.net/autism-brain-differences

Parents
  • I'll be looking through the articles posted by others.

I recently found a YouTube Vid by Prof Simon Barron-Cohen. 65% more neurons in the frontal cortex, apparently and greater connectivity between those neurons, also significantly less neural prunning...so sounds like we are hard wired for lots of 'if this, then that, and so' logical thinking and good factual memory.

Big amagdals though...ouch, kind of hot wired for anxiety as a downside.

• I don’t like Simon Baron Cohen because he is very well known for leading some horrible and inhumane research projects about us including the awful Spectrum 10k.

• I agree he's made mistakes. You can see when interviewed though he is someone who wants to learn a d get it right.

I agree about Spectrum 10k. Might be all very interesting to know which of our genes make us autistic, but to what use might some put that knowledge? There are some dodgy ones, which might deprive humanity of the gift of neurodivergent thinking and endanger our kids.

• I agree he's made mistakes. You can see when interviewed though he is someone who wants to learn a d get it right.

I agree about Spectrum 10k. Might be all very interesting to know which of our genes make us autistic, but to what use might some put that knowledge? There are some dodgy ones, which might deprive humanity of the gift of neurodivergent thinking and endanger our kids.

Children