The autistic brain

This comes up a lot in the forums.

That our brains are 'wired differently'.

I'd like to learn what that actually means scientifically, and also perhaps some of us might like to share how we experience our brains.

I think mine ticks over very fast, and I see it as a canoe drifting down a river with waterfalls either side ie danger ahead.

Please share any links you know of that explain our minds.

Here's one I found:

https://www.psycom.net/autism-brain-differences

Parents
  • Hi Debbie 

Thanks for starting this discussion and sharing the article. I know that our autistic brains have more connections between synapses which means that we process around 42% more information than non autistic people at resting rate. Here is a link to an article about our monotropic brain and our learning style:

https://autistic-village.com/2021/08/05/building-super-highways-why-monotropism-works-for-autistics/

It’s a brilliant article, I hope you find it interesting.

I don’t like the article you have linked to as it falsely describes us as disordered, we are neurodivergent not disordered!

I am very aware that my brain works very fast in comparison to non autistic people and makes deep connections and patterns between interests. I am also a very deep thinker and I analyse everything- thanks to being monotropic! As a child I always wondered why non autistic people did not think as deeply as I did.

• I've just read that article.

Thank you for sharing.

Very interesting.

• Thanks for starting this thread Debbie.

I have often been challenged by some people when I tell them that my "MODE" of thinking is different.

If queried further, I always fall back on the Android -v- iOS -v- Mac OS -v- Linux -v- C++ etc.

It will be good to read the links that have been provided by the good folk here.

Thank you again mate.

• Thanks for starting this thread Debbie.

I have often been challenged by some people when I tell them that my "MODE" of thinking is different.

If queried further, I always fall back on the Android -v- iOS -v- Mac OS -v- Linux -v- C++ etc.

It will be good to read the links that have been provided by the good folk here.

Thank you again mate.

Children
No Data