Can any ND truly claim to have found peace of mind?

I've spent a liftime trying to run away from myself.  The penny dropped with me some years ago how futile my ruminations were. I've tried giving myself permission to accept my status quo. It works for me in the short term but old habits die hard with my return to beating myself up every now and again.  Has anyone else succeeded in achieving this elusive peace of mind?

Parents
  • I'm not sure anybody can achieve absolute peace of mind. Everything seems to be a compromise at times. I'd settle for feeling content most of the time. I've learned a lot from the conversations on here and it has definitely helped me to accept the way I am in comparison to others. I realise now that I've been masking all my life to get by, and knowing that means I have added a new mask in recent months. It's called 'apathy'; something I've never been guilty of in the past. Pretending to be apathetic about certain things has helped me cope and find a higher degree of inner peace, but the downside is that when this mask slips it does so in a spectacular fashion resulting in a meltdown on a grand scale. I guess all the negativity I'm ignoring must accumulate somewhere behind a dam then release all at once. Haven't decided yet which is the best way forward, regular mini meltdowns or occasional tsunamis.

• I had my own tsunami after listening to Neil Oliver's riveting monologue  Saturday evening on GB News at 6pm. He highlighted ALL the seeming nonsense that is taking place now and how much worse it will get---if allowed to continue.

• Sorry, was your tsunami because you didn't like what he was saying, or because what he was saying struck a chord and upset you?

I had one building up on Friday at work but had to fight really hard to contain it, for obvious reasons. It eventually materialised fully when I got home, went to the nearest shop, bought loads of crisps, chocolate, ice cream, fizzy drink etc. then sat and gorged the lot in one sitting. I woke up on my sofa in the early hours of Saturday feeling sick, disorientated, and absolutely disgusted with myself. I know bingeing is not the answer, and it doesn't make anything better, but something primal makes me do it for comfort. Living on my own means there's nobody there to judge me or talk me down, so to speak. I went out for a walk by the sea early when nobody was about and that helped restore the balance eventually. It's these extremes I'd like to iron out to find my peace of mind.

• Thank you. Someone once wrote on here that ASD is a life sentence. That's true enough in the sense it was quoted at the time, but sentences are for crimes and being different shouldn't feel like a crime. As well as making some changes I want to embrace certain aspects of my character that I know will never change, and I'm more than happy to keep them. Road rage and binge eating are the two things I really would like to control better.

A brave and candid outburst from Mr. Oliver. He makes some very poignant comments that will stick in the throats of politicians and the entitled classes.

• I'm back as promised. It sounds like you have taken very positive action that is producing your needed outcome. Well done!  It may be helpful to analyse events that trigger your button to overindulge your food intake.

I think you will find Neil Oliver's monologue on GB News YouTube

• No problem. Me too.

• I'll look out for that Neil Oliver thing, thanks.

I absolutely agree about excess being self destructive but I think I have to somehow separate it from the feelings that trigger it to fix the problem. I did have a weight problem but someone recommended the keto diet and I have lost 13 kilos on it so far this year. I'm so disciplined during the week which makes falling off the wagon even worse. I'd be more concerned about it if it wasn't for the fact that I'm still losing weight, but all the same I'd like to curb it altogether. The good thing is that as I've lost weight my physical capacity for gorging has lessened to the point where I can no longer eat all I purchase. If I can keep reducing the amount I buy eventually I will reach a point where I'm content to just have a little treat on a Friday evening. The other good news is that the holiday season is almost over so the seaside town where I live will start to get less busy and I'll feel able to go out more without having to avoid the crowds. As I said earlier, I'm trying hard to make positive changes to my life but I know trying to do too much too soon would be counterproductive. Baby steps.

• Sorry, I need to leave my PC I will return

Reply Children
  • Thank you. Someone once wrote on here that ASD is a life sentence. That's true enough in the sense it was quoted at the time, but sentences are for crimes and being different shouldn't feel like a crime. As well as making some changes I want to embrace certain aspects of my character that I know will never change, and I'm more than happy to keep them. Road rage and binge eating are the two things I really would like to control better.

A brave and candid outburst from Mr. Oliver. He makes some very poignant comments that will stick in the throats of politicians and the entitled classes.

• I'm back as promised. It sounds like you have taken very positive action that is producing your needed outcome. Well done!  It may be helpful to analyse events that trigger your button to overindulge your food intake.

I think you will find Neil Oliver's monologue on GB News YouTube

• No problem. Me too.