Dealing with negativity

The past few days have been extremely difficult for me. I’ve had to listen to various family members using the R-word and talk negatively about autistic adults. It seems to slip their mind that I’m autistic and standing right in front of them.

I’m always filled with such sadness and hopelessness when this happens. I’ve said many times before that I don’t feel comfortable with the words they use but it never seems to change anything. 

How does everyone else cope with this type of situation? Are my boundaries lacking? Am I too sensitive? 

Parents
  • I'm so sorry you're treated this way. It can't be easy and it's more than understandable you feel this way. I'm not treated nicely in my house, I am often commented on and used by those around me. People can be selfish and don't realise how hurtful they can be. It used to affect me greatly but now I'm numb to other people's cruelness. You aren't too sensitive, they are insensitive for not listening to you and treating you this way.

• I'm so sorry you're treated this way. It can't be easy and it's more than understandable you feel this way. I'm not treated nicely in my house, I am often commented on and used by those around me. People can be selfish and don't realise how hurtful they can be. It used to affect me greatly but now I'm numb to other people's cruelness. You aren't too sensitive, they are insensitive for not listening to you and treating you this way.

Children
  • Thank you. It’s not necessarily directed at me but I can hear it all and they know how it affects me. When I say I don’t appreciate the words, they act like I’m the one with the problem. “Oh it’s just a word!” It makes me feel so small.