Dealing with negativity

The past few days have been extremely difficult for me. I’ve had to listen to various family members using the R-word and talk negatively about autistic adults. It seems to slip their mind that I’m autistic and standing right in front of them.

I’m always filled with such sadness and hopelessness when this happens. I’ve said many times before that I don’t feel comfortable with the words they use but it never seems to change anything. 

How does everyone else cope with this type of situation? Are my boundaries lacking? Am I too sensitive? 

Parents
  • The past few days have been extremely difficult for me. I’ve had to listen to various family members using the R-word and talk negatively about autistic adults. It seems to slip their mind that I’m autistic and standing right in front of them.

Hello Allie

I am sorry you are having to deal with this situation, it is very disrespectful and offensive for them to use that language.

I am not sure what advice to give to you, but just so you know we are here for you and I hope you feel comfortable in this autistic community.

Am I too sensitive? 

Not at all! That word is extremely hurtful and you have every right to be offended by its use, I would be too!

You don’t deserve to be in a situation where others are usually horrible language like that. Maybe you can spend some time alone, hyper focus on your interests to block out the negativity or go out for a walk?

I hope you can find a safe space where you can be openly autistic! You deserve it!

Smile

• Thank you! I usually spend most of my time alone and they wonder why… I am proud to be autistic but sometimes those words really cut deep

Reply Children