Museum Event for Autistic Adults

Hi all!

i hope it's okay to put links up here? Sorry if not!

For anyone who is interested, the London Transport Museum is holding a free relaxed evening just for Adults with SEND. It's a nice time to be able to explore the Museum in a safe environment and also without any younger kids around!

Link is below if anyone is interested.

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/adult-early-explorer-evening

Parents
  • Hi.

I note that you say it's for adults with 'SEND'.

I had to look this up and it's 'special educational needs and disabilities'.

I actually don't know if simply being diagnosed with ASD (as an adult) puts me into this criteria so would appreciate clarification.

Also, if it doesn't, I think you ought to widen your criteria.

I think it's a very good idea and I'd suggest keeping the noise levels down.

I visited the D Day Museum in Southsea a while ago and there were loud recordings (stories) being played in every room which made it impossible for me to concentrate on the items I was trying to read about.

All the noise was so overwhelming, different sounds competing with each other, that I had to leave quickly.

Thank you for sharing.

• Hi!

Thanks for your comment.

Under the Equality Act, ASD is considered an special educational need, as is ADHD, but I understand it very much comes down to preferences with self-identification. I personally consider myself a person with SEND as it autism does affect my everyday life.

i totally get what you mean! I like transport and I like the Transport Museum but it's really overwhelming with kids running around. they also have lots of projector screens and noises, its an echoey building! So many public places are like this so it's nice to get a more relaxed environment to enjoy these things. 

• Hi!

Thanks for your comment.

Under the Equality Act, ASD is considered an special educational need, as is ADHD, but I understand it very much comes down to preferences with self-identification. I personally consider myself a person with SEND as it autism does affect my everyday life.

i totally get what you mean! I like transport and I like the Transport Museum but it's really overwhelming with kids running around. they also have lots of projector screens and noises, its an echoey building! So many public places are like this so it's nice to get a more relaxed environment to enjoy these things. 

Children