Autism Friendly Leisure Activities

Newly officially diagnosed but suspected for a long time. Now comes the point where I actually could get help for my hidden disability but I would like to know which organisations that people visit for pleasure like galleries, museum, historic buildings etc are friendly towards autistic adults.  For example my experience in The National Trust has often been negative. I do not drive, the anxiety and thought processing is too overwhelming. I always travel with a rucksack so I can carry all of my the things for the whole day like, like food, medicines, phone charger, hairbrush yada yada yada. They don’t seem to appreciate any of this and only like car drivers with small handbags.  

Parents
  • It's not absolutely clear what reasonable accommodations or adjustments you are seeking.

I enjoy visiting these kinds of places and although I have a sunflower lanyard I don't think I've ever worn it in such environments. I don't tend to like drawing attention to myself unless completely necessary. My issues tend to be with noise and proximity to other people and I manage these myself, by going when it is less busy and wearing earplugs.

It seems that your main issue is your rucksack. Places which have lots of delicate valuables understandably want to ensure they are protected and avoid any accidental damage or breakages.

Many autistic people also have dyspraxia, which means we can be clumsy and have problems with balance and co-ordination. I'm sure you would be horrified if your rucksack were to accidentally touch something and cause damage.

When I've been on my travels visiting art galleries and museums, with a backpack, I've often been asked to either carry it or check it into a cloakroom or locker. I've always complied with these requests. It makes the visiting experience better anyway, if you're not having to lug a heavy bag around with you.

If staff at National Trust properties object to your rucksack then they should provide a safe place where you can leave it. They shouldn't be assuming that everyone arrives by car and can leave their bags in the car.

• Ideally I would like them to be a bit more understanding of why I carry a rucksack and or provide lockers or a cloak room if they do not like this. I have sent them an email to this effect now. 

Reply Children
  • In my experience the National Trust properties are usually staffed by elderly volunteers and they can be a strange bunch.

Ultimately why you choose to carry your possessions around with you isn't any of their business and I don't think you should feel under any pressure to explain. 

I can only assume they're being ultra cautious about security or potential damage. You can always offer to let them search the bag if they are worried about security.

They should appreciate that tourist attractions tend to attract tourists, who often have large bags and even suitcases in tow. I've visited museums and art galleries with a suitcase and always been able to stow it somewhere. It's not really specifically an autism related issue.

It'll be interesting what response you get to your email. I'm really surprised they don't already have somewhere to store bags.